Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Foxpro Wildfire review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Foxpro Wildfire review

Good to hear, great report.

On a different subject, how did u get your entire rifle cammoed like that. It looks great.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

thanks,

krylon & rustoleum.

just shortened the barrel to 17", will get the brake back on after the next coyote hunt.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

It looks incredible. . I've been debating on painting my 6.5 . I put a McNett camo wrap on it. And that looked great when it was new. The trouble with the fabric in snow camo is it gets dirty quick.
It would be nice just to wash it off with some soap and water.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Hello Everyone,

I've only just joined Longrange from Australia and this is my first post so I hope I'm not butting in.

It is very interesting that you use electronic calls. I have no experiece with them whatsoever.
I'd like to share the methond my mates and I use to call foxes with great success. I'm a very keen fox caller, although we use "whistles" and we go "fox whistling" It's the same bloke just a different hair cut. Anyhow, our whistles are very simple and basicly consist of a piece of sheet metal folded in two and a hole drilled through near the fold. We either buy them or make them ourselves and they simply mimic the sound of a rabbit in distress. They can be blown as hard or as soft as you wish and carry for hundereds of meters.

I whistle all over the place but, at a mates sheep station that's about 13,000 acres on any leisurely afternoon we may whistle 5 or more foxes without trying too hard. Sometimes they run in so fast they near run into us.

I have found the best whistle to be the Silva Fox Whistle. Should anyone be interested google Silva Fox Whistles and once on the site have a look at the video clips. in particular one titled "We've got to get out of this place".

Anyhow, thanks for letting me share and happy calling to you all.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Gold Member

Hey Aussie Whistler. Welcome to L.R.H. . I'll check that out. I had no idea ya'll had rabbits in Australia. ( I guess I don't get out enuf) . What do you shoot the fox with? Do you hunt dingos? .
Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM

Greeting Cold Trigger Finger,

Thank you for the welcome! We have more rabbits in Australia than you could poke a stick at. If we go walking of an afternoon we'll shoot a dozen and see three times that many. We spotlight at night and with one of us shooting we'll get another two dozen. Now having said that it depends on the season, they come and go. It depends on rainfall etc. At present there's heaps. Two weeks ago we took my mates 12 year old nephew out and he shot 57 in two nights.

The foxes I whistle I usually shoot with a model 2 CZ Brno 22LR but it leaves little margin for error on a moving target. I have a lovely stainless Remington 700 in 220 Swift but it's too much gun for poor old foxes called to my feet so last month I bought a new CZ 527 American in 222 Remington and I'm working on a reduced load using Trail Boss powder.

We don't have Dingos anywhere close to where I shoot but we do get the odd feral dog. They wreak havoc on livestock and are shot on sight. We also have plenty of feral cats and our fox whistles call them too.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Hey, good deal. I've called a few feral cats in Southeast Alaska with a distressed fawn call. The sure surprised me. One I shot with a 7 mag and one with a 338 w/ 300gr Barnes Original s .. . I had a CZ527 in 223. I really liked that rifle.