Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

FMJ's on coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: FMJ's on coyotes

Have you tried to hit something at 300 yards with a mortar, one of the hand guided types without a tripod ? It takes quite a bit of skill and practice.

When I was serving on the Namibian/Angolan border in 1987, it was just 9 guys in my Eng corps unit assigned to about 200 infantry right on an infiltration route.

We got ourselves a device called a "Patmore"

We even learned to fire it from out our armored vehicles which were open on top.

When we did target practice we used to set up close to a local village and then have local villagers select a target for us to hit with smoke mortars. It never took more than 2 shots (about 10 seconds after the first hit) to hit it. Having the locals know that we had and could use such a weapon was probably one of the reasons I am still alive today.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Was gonna try the 7.62x39 on one if I ever see one while pig hunting.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
Was gonna try the 7.62x39 on one if I ever see one while pig hunting.
Good bang for buck with those. What are you shooting them out of?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Have you tried to hit something at 300 yards with a mortar, one of the hand guided types without a tripod ? It takes quite a bit of skill and practice.

When I was serving on the Namibian/Angolan border in 1987, it was just 9 guys in my Eng corps unit assigned to about 200 infantry right on an infiltration route.

We got ourselves a device called a "Patmore"

We even learned to fire it from out our armored vehicles which were open on top.

When we did target practice we used to set up close to a local village and then have local villagers select a target for us to hit with smoke mortars. It never took more than 2 shots (about 10 seconds after the first hit) to hit it. Having the locals know that we had and could use such a weapon was probably one of the reasons I am still alive today.
How close do you have to land to your target to do "some damage"? I would rig my bipod up to that.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno1 View Post
Good bang for buck with those. What are you shooting them out of?
Good bang for the buck 20 years ago. but even the steel cased tulammo soft point is $.36 per round now. Found some what I think is 8n3, so I am happy about that. It will be out of an SGW bullpup stocked $80 SKS. You can tell me how long ago it was that the SKS was $80. Still needs a trigger job, but Kivaari is 2 months behind. Wanna get the gun built and shot before the trigger ships out.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Gold Member

Anyone other than me ever put a lot of thot and money into a custom rifle and then have it not be what you were hoping for.

The longer I have my 6.5 Creed. The more I like it and the more I see how it just right fits the bill I had for it.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Gold Member

A 60mm HE round would have a killing radius of about 34.5ft according to this source D-day: The Invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944 - Randy Holderfield, Michael Varhola - Google Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno1 View Post
How close do you have to land to your target to do "some damage"? I would rig my bipod up to that.