close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Reply

FMJ's on coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #36  
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Napoleon,MI
Posts: 1,192
Re: FMJ's on coyotes

Have you tried to hit something at 300 yards with a mortar, one of the hand guided types without a tripod ? It takes quite a bit of skill and practice.

When I was serving on the Namibian/Angolan border in 1987, it was just 9 guys in my Eng corps unit assigned to about 200 infantry right on an infiltration route.

We got ourselves a device called a "Patmore"


We even learned to fire it from out our armored vehicles which were open on top.

When we did target practice we used to set up close to a local village and then have local villagers select a target for us to hit with smoke mortars. It never took more than 2 shots (about 10 seconds after the first hit) to hit it. Having the locals know that we had and could use such a weapon was probably one of the reasons I am still alive today.
Reply With Quote
  •   #37  
    Unread 04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
    Posts: 330
    Re: FMJ's on coyotes

    Was gonna try the 7.62x39 on one if I ever see one while pig hunting.
    Reply With Quote

      #38  
    Unread 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Posts: 30
    Re: FMJ's on coyotes

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dust View Post
    Was gonna try the 7.62x39 on one if I ever see one while pig hunting.
    Good bang for buck with those. What are you shooting them out of?
    Reply With Quote
      #39  
    Unread 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Posts: 30
    Re: FMJ's on coyotes

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    Have you tried to hit something at 300 yards with a mortar, one of the hand guided types without a tripod ? It takes quite a bit of skill and practice.

    When I was serving on the Namibian/Angolan border in 1987, it was just 9 guys in my Eng corps unit assigned to about 200 infantry right on an infiltration route.

    We got ourselves a device called a "Patmore"


    We even learned to fire it from out our armored vehicles which were open on top.

    When we did target practice we used to set up close to a local village and then have local villagers select a target for us to hit with smoke mortars. It never took more than 2 shots (about 10 seconds after the first hit) to hit it. Having the locals know that we had and could use such a weapon was probably one of the reasons I am still alive today.
    How close do you have to land to your target to do "some damage"? I would rig my bipod up to that.
    Reply With Quote
      #40  
    Unread 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2009
    Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
    Posts: 330
    Re: FMJ's on coyotes

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reno1 View Post
    Good bang for buck with those. What are you shooting them out of?
    Good bang for the buck 20 years ago. but even the steel cased tulammo soft point is $.36 per round now. Found some what I think is 8n3, so I am happy about that. It will be out of an SGW bullpup stocked $80 SKS. You can tell me how long ago it was that the SKS was $80. Still needs a trigger job, but Kivaari is 2 months behind. Wanna get the gun built and shot before the trigger ships out.
    Reply With Quote
      #41  
    Unread 04-21-2013, 01:27 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Location: Copper Basin, Alaska
    Posts: 839
    Re: FMJ's on coyotes

    Anyone other than me ever put a lot of thot and money into a custom rifle and then have it not be what you were hoping for.

    The longer I have my 6.5 Creed. The more I like it and the more I see how it just right fits the bill I had for it.
    Reply With Quote
      #42  
    Unread 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: Near Napoleon,MI
    Posts: 1,192
    Re: FMJ's on coyotes

    A 60mm HE round would have a killing radius of about 34.5ft according to this source D-day: The Invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944 - Randy Holderfield, Michael Varhola - Google Books

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reno1 View Post
    How close do you have to land to your target to do "some damage"? I would rig my bipod up to that.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC