Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

FMJ's on coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: FMJ's on coyotes

In Canada we can:t hunt anything with FMJ bullets (copper jacketed] they are designed to wound not to kill,thats why the military uses them, 2 men for every wounded man to carry out. buck up ,be humane, hunting with FMJ makes us all look bad.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 PM

I use my deer rounds for coyote. As I stated earlier, there's not enough mass on the yote for the bullet to expand, especially on a sub 100 yrd shot. The .270 round just blows straight through it. Relatively small entrance and exit holes. I believe pretty much what any larger caliber (.308, .270, etc) FMJ would do. These rounds even though they may not expand on a coyote have so much energy that the hydrostatic(?) shock destroys them. They go down immediately from my experience. Wider would channel, much more ft lbs of energy. I don't believe a .22 FMJ would have nearly the same effect and results. That's why in my opinion a FMJ or deer/pig round in .270 or greater cal is very effective on yotes. I can't imagine with a double lung shot with a .308 FMJ that the dog would go 20 ft.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

So this won't kill a little bitty coyote ?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:38 PM

Nice vid, westcliffe. That's a dead dog.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for all the great input. I'll try it out next hunt and hopefully get back with some results.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

I've shot a few coyotes with FMJ's, but I wouldn't recommend it. I've shot far more coyotes with a match bullet then i can shake a stick at. They do a much better job. A FMJ will pencil through on a broad side shot and 9 times out of 10 the coyote will run a ways even if they're hit in the boiler room. If you're shooting the length wise they will start to tumble and rip things up and if they come out the side they will rip up a lot of fur. If you're just shooting coyotes to kill them, use a better bullet. If you want the fur shoot them with a match bullet.

It's always more fun to walk up to a coyote ($50 bill) that is dead, not half alive, and that's if you catch up to him after running a mile. You can't have a $50 bill if you can't put them on the ground. Moral of the story, use a better bullet.

xdeano
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

With bullets hard to find now take a file and file off the tip until you see a lttle lead they will open up fine.