Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Flatland ranging yotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Flatland ranging yotes?

Step 1: Zero your rifle at 200 yards
Step 2: Range your field of fire out to 250 yards
Step 3: Let 'em come to you
Step 4: Point and click (dang hopefully you load your gun before you start calling I just dropped the hammer on an empty chamber AGAIN).

Set up a mojo critter or your favorite decoy high enough to be seen over the grass, wheat, whatever is in the field and let the dog do all the work. Now if you wanna shoot them while they're far I would say buy camo netting from cabelas I think they come in 10X20 sheets lay it over your truck and set up on the truck. It will get you off the ground and when you range instead of just pointing and clicking at the whole animal try and put the reticle just above their head or their back if they are broadside, that way your beam is above the grass and just catches the animal. Usually when I'm in that situation I just let them come all the way in and all I have to do is aim and shoot, no turret twisting. I pick landmarks that are at about 250 and once the dog crosses my imaginary line I let 'em have it.
Fed 210M
Nosler Case
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Jeff,

I sure wish you wouldn't have made this post. as I've just about talked myself in to the Leica 1600.

This LRH stuff is starting to get really expensive.

With two rifles good for 1 mile shots, one for quite a bit farther, whatsa fella gonna do?

With the craftsmanship Kirby has put into these things I figure I owe it to him and the rigs to be at the best level of operation.

Oh well, it's just money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I had the very same problem with both my swaro and Leica CRF. Actually the leica did better when held solidly on sand bags but I was limited to about 700~800 yards. I now have a Vectronix PLRF10. Problem solved. Put it solidly on bags, place the crosshairs on the yote and release the button slowly keeping crosshairs on the yote. Smallest beam you can get and strong enough to range way out there. I have ranged yotes to 1500 plus in wheat stubble with great success. They are not cheap, but they work. To me a reliable RF is just as important as the rifle and scope.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, I only wish I would have cleaned the safe and offed the unused rifles and a few things years ago to fund my PLRF10. We drop big bucks on scopes and custom rifles and then we want a rangerfinder for under a grand. In my opinion the RF is just as important as the rifle and scope , especially out past 1000 where the bullet is dropping fast every yard. Accurate distance is a very important part of the ballistic equation. Unless a shooter is ok with walking them in. But that will not work for me. I like the first round cold bore hits.

I am sure you have some stuff you havent used in a year or more to sell to soften the blow. Thats what I did.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Jeff,

I sure wish you wouldn't have made this post. as I've just about talked myself in to the Leica 1600.

This LRH stuff is starting to get really expensive.

With two rifles good for 1 mile shots, one for quite a bit farther, whatsa fella gonna do?

With the craftsmanship Kirby has put into these things I figure I owe it to him and the rigs to be at the best level of operation.

Oh well, it's just money
Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I had the very same problem with both my swaro and Leica CRF. Actually the leica did better when held solidly on sand bags but I was limited to about 700~800 yards. I now have a Vectronix PLRF10. Problem solved. Put it solidly on bags, place the crosshairs on the yote and release the button slowly keeping crosshairs on the yote. Smallest beam you can get and strong enough to range way out there. I have ranged yotes to 1500 plus in wheat stubble with great success. They are not cheap, but they work. To me a reliable RF is just as important as the rifle and scope.

Jeff

Your killing me!!!!! Ranging a coyote in stubble over 1500yrds is crazy!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We drop big bucks on scopes and custom rifles and then we want a rangerfinder for under a grand. In my opinion the RF is just as important as the rifle and scope , especially out past 1000 where the bullet is dropping fast every yard. Accurate distance is a very important part of the ballistic equation.

I am sure you have some stuff you havent used in a year or more to sell to soften the blow. Thats what I did.

Jeff
I'm with ya on that!

I have funds set aside for tracks for my Habitat Invasion Vehicle-Carrier (HIV-Carrier) or if you with 1994 Suzuki 4-door Sidekick. Pretty much an ATV with heater/AC and 80 mph hiway speed. This is to get me into the back country during deep snow.

Geez, $4k here and $4k there starts to add up.

bigngreen's gears are turning too. I can hear them grinding way down here.