Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

First Coyote Called and Killed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: First Coyote Called and Killed!

Korhil,
been lookin' for a good 12 ga factory load for just such a situation... any opinions?

tt35,
I figured as much, darn it

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB11WYO View Post
I figured as much, darn it

Any of the lead four buck loads will do you well for your close-in coyotes. I'm currently using Federal's V-shok Heavyweight Predator loads. They work really well but are pretty darned expensive. Dead Coyote loads in T-shot work well also but they are even more expensive. If you can get them facing you and before they get too jacked up on adrenaline, any of the four buck loads should work well. You may want to pattern them in your gun. My shotgun shoots about 16" high at 40 yards.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Good job. I lived in Big Piney and Green River for 16 years. I tried coyote hunting but it was just too cold. The first time I went out it was -15 when I left the house. Got to my spot and then walked about 1/2 mile. About 15 minutes later I had one coming in. I was so cold I struggled to shoulder my rifle. It saw me and was gone. More power to you if you can fight the cold.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

Thanks tt35! Will look into it.

newmexkid,
Man you said it! I'm in GR myself. Went out a few weeks ago and truck read -20 the whole way out to the stand. Had 2 come in hard to 500 yards and then hang up on me. Couldn't get on 'em. Man I was glad to get back to the truck! Brrrrrrrrr...

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM

CB11WYO, I use Dead Coyote T-shot with good results out of my SX3. Its about the most expensive I have found but a dead coyote is worth more than $4.50 to me.
Winchester SX3 Burris FF3
Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

awesome. I remember the First Coyote I called in just south of Rawlins with my Yote Buster mouth call. It was a horrible set up. I was in my FRC work clothes trying to lie still on a somewhat open hill side, he came in from the side about 100 yards. 270WSM got him nice and dead though. That is one coyote I will never forget. Congrats!

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Bronze Member

Very good!!

Now, those coyotes that were barking to the west of you likely busted you. They were warning anybody and everybody about the danger you presented.

The first step in calling is your stand pick, and you need two things .... coyotes and a way to get into position "undetected" ........ it's impossible to be perfect on not being detected but you want to refine that skill.

A tip on what many do:

They will use a ridge line as cover and call the opposite side. Don't traverse the ridge ... cross it and just barely. Do not skyline yourself as you cross it. Park your vehicle so as to not trip you up either .... moving rigs are not the problem ......... parking ones are. Coyotes do have some weaknesses but not many. One is that they have a fairly short memory on things that don't seem to matter to them. What I am saying is that things they are used to ........ a rig driving by, a person walking without mal intent ... they brush those things off for the most part. But if you trip their trigger so to speak ....... they are OUT OF THERE! You think about that. If you encounter a coyote ........ don't stare at it ........... just keep driving by or walking on by and look elsewhere. Circle back or come call another day when things are on your terms.

Remember, they are a hunter ....... if it's one thing they recognize ......... it's another hunter! Act like you could care less about their being there and bumble your way around them. Eye contact and body language.

Most of the contacts coyotes encounter don't even see them ........ you want to paint yourself another "stupid" in their eyes!

Another thing folks do it to set the e-call in front and up wind and sit at the top of the ridge and watch for coyotes looping downwind to scent the area the call is coming from.

Another thing is birds.

The crows and ravens will bust you or you could decoy them/bait them to your advantage.

Best regards and Congrats on getting your teeth sunk into this sport!!

Three 44s