Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

ever had this happen while calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

ever had this happen while calling

today, me and a couple of buddies were calling in a deer migration area so we were using an e-caller with fawn in distress and a few minutes into it i spot this coyote coming in from pretty far off and then he just sits down and wont come in, we get a range on him at 1111 yards and 1107 and then we here this growling sound from below us within a hundred yards but it sounded like a pissed off house cat but we couldnt locate it as the cedars were pretty thick from where the sound was coming from, do you think the coyote knew it was another predators area? i was thinking bobcat but i didnt see it, and for the coyote i dialed up 28 minutes plus 2 mils and let it fly hitting just under the yote sending him jumping high and running around in circles wondering what just happened bit i still missed.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ever had this happen while calling

Yes, and Yes.

I've had similar situations and yes, coyotes know when they're about to cross into anothers' territory.

Long story short, they've went in after fawn or rabbit or whatever in the past and got their a&$ Kicked! Sent home with their tail between their legs.

They don't just get educated by coyote callers and missed shots, they get learned up on by other coyotes and predators too. Even the adults will train the pups not to go toward a call (if the adults have been educated to it).

Too bad you missed (I hate myself for a week everytime I do), next time he'll probably stop at 1500 yds away, LoL. Seriously though, I've seen some of the "smart ones" go running in the other direction when the calling starts.

What kind of rangefinder are you using to get 1100+ readings on coyotes??

Last edited by SBruce; 01-16-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Internet went down, and I wasn't finished yet!!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 AM
SPONSOR

Congrats on dropping one in there that close! Suppose the cold temps caused a little more drop?

Yeah, coyotes sometimes act like they hit an invisible fence. They know the line and unless they're the Alpha of the area, they just won't cross it. And, I think that even the alpha's will stop when hitting a neighboring dominant coyote's territory. This will get more pronounced now that breeding season is getting close and get even greater when denning starts.

One area we hunt has quite a few cross fences on it that the coyotes use for boundaries. I've seen coyotes come to within a few yards of the fence and just sit down. They act like they can't get through it.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

See edited post up above, internet went down right in the middle of it!!
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the tips, we used a bushnel elite 1500 cause my leica 1600 got sent back waiting for a new one to return, i need a pocket pc and exbal but im not sure which pc to get.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Your Leica too??

I had to send mine back. It wouldn't even range an eagle in a treetop at 539 yds. My old LRF 1200 would, but not the Leica 1600. I can't get coyotes at 1100 with the old 1200 though, it'll only do coyotes out to around 8 or 9.

Last edited by SBruce; 01-16-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Your Leica too??

I had to send mine back. It wouldn't even range an eagle in a treetop at 539 yds. My old LRF 1200 would, but not the Leica. I can't get coyotes at 1100 with the old 1200 though, it'll only do coyotes out to around 8 or 9.
they had to be on a hilside it had a hard time past 500 on flat snow covered fields