Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

East Coast Coyote Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

East Coast Coyote Hunting

I have tried my hand at yotes, but I cannot seem to call 'em in. First off, I live in NJ, and most of the shots I have had on dogs has been coincidental, i.e while I was hunting deer or small game. I have heard that hunting coyotes in the east is one of the hardest things to do because of the denseness of the terrain (woods).
I am trying my hand at it again with some friends of mine this Saturday night.
We will be hunting some cut corn field edges, seperated by low hedgerows.
At night, we can only use shotgun with no smaller than #4 and no larger than #T. During the day, which is pretty useless, but we can use m-loader. This restriction is a pain in the butt, because I have had coyotes come in at around 100 yards. Great rifle range.
I am looking forward to comments on strategies, etc. I am very eager to kill some here soon as their breeding season is coming in.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: East Coast Coyote Hunting

Sounds like it could be pretty tough there.

Let us know how your night went.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

I'm by no means a pro but I do have some experience with these east coast yotes. Remember to set up for you wind and not to give them that advantage. Since you need them up close w/ a shot gun make sure you give them a safe way to get to you. Set up on a tree or brush line and not a brush pile in the middle of the field. You might get surprised by them but that's part of the fun.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

1357Mag, the restriction you mentioned is it that no centerfired rifles are allowed on yotes or is it all game. Unlike Jersey City, Bayonne, Paramus etc there are still parts of Jersey that are pretty wilderness so does it apply to the whole state or just certain counties?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
1357Mag, the restriction you mentioned is it that no centerfired rifles are allowed on yotes or is it all game. Unlike Jersey City, Bayonne, Paramus etc there are still parts of Jersey that are pretty wilderness so does it apply to the whole state or just certain counties?
Chas1, that applies to the whole state. If you are hunting at night, you can only use shotgun with between 4 and T shot. Alot of guys are using the Hevi-Shot in T's. Per pellet, the T's weigh more than lead #4 buck.
I think I will make a purchase here soon. See my reply to this post.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

I was out last night. I did not bring my gun, but just wanted to scout out the area where I deer hunt. (1 mile from my house) As soon as I got out of the truck I heard what appeared to be a large male. The howl was a deep one. I decided to go up to the ridge where I hunt and do an interrogation howl, and got an immediate response! I let out some ki-yi's and I got a closer response.
I decided to boogie home and get the 12 gauge.
I went right back to the spot that I was at, and did not get any responses because they were right near me. I could hear them running about in the leaves. I then decided to squeak a bit, and they got even closer. No bodies though.
Needless to say I WILL be back there this week! Wish me luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
I'm by no means a pro but I do have some experience with these east coast yotes. Remember to set up for you wind and not to give them that advantage. Since you need them up close w/ a shot gun make sure you give them a safe way to get to you. Set up on a tree or brush line and not a brush pile in the middle of the field. You might get surprised by them but that's part of the fun.
I appreciate the input. I hunt on a North-South ridge, so that gives me somewhat of an advantage with the wind. Most of the time I have a NW wind here this time of the year. Take a look at the last post. I got really close last night! Thanks you for the input, and I will let you know how I do.