Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Doubled on Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Doubled on Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote doctor View Post
This was one of those rare mornings where everthing falls into place. I have called on this ranch numerous times with little success.

I guess if it worked out every time it wouldn't be such a rememberable experience ;-)

I called, they answered, and came running. Decided to take the male when he was just over 200yards because the wind started to swirl a bit. As I was ejecting a round it hit my sleeve and fell back in front of my bolt. (Jam)
I was trying to stay calm as the second coyote was running straight away. I had to tip my rifle upside down and then rechambered a round. Got my gun positioned and took the shot as she was running over the hill below. Then i saw her tumble forward in a heap. 267 yards.

Nice shooting! I know the pain of a jam when the second coyote is still out there in range.

I was using my 243 shooting the 95gr Bergers. As you can see in the photo this round can be hard on fur. It entered just behind the sholder and you can see where it came out, wow. Second dog was hit in the back of the neck. Made my day!

I changed to a 100g Nosler BT and it is drop dead deadly on coyotes and fox with very little fur damage, so far.
Just remember Zuba that there is a coyote still out there that knocked off my hat last year when I got in between it and my decoy one year ago. Sure got the adrenaline flowing. ;-))
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Doubled on Dogs

Good shooting, congrats.