Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Do we call into

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Do we call into

Do we call into the wind, and set our stand up down wind ?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Do we call into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Do we call into the wind, and set our stand up down wind ?
Judging by the question, I'll assume you're a novice, so I would HIGHLY suggest you set up on the down wind side of the area you're "hopeing" to call coyotes from, so the wind will be in your face.

It's honestly a crap shoot on where they will come from...your approach is probably more important than anything.

You want to also approach from as much of the downwind side as possible, so that you reduce the chance of calling one in from behind you on accident.
It's a good idea to scout areas in the off season or slow times and either document them or have a damn good memory....on which locations will be best suited for a wind out of a specific direction.

We have a huge hunting map with hundreds of push pins stuck in it.

Blue is a good spot for a north wind
Red is a good spot for a south wind
Green is a good spot for a west wind
Yellow is a good spot for an east wind.

We put a sticky note next to areas we had success, how many of what gender we killed and the date we were there.
We put stick notes in areas we see coyotes and how many.

After you get more effective, you can make sets with less emphasis on wind direction.
We have one spot in particular that we go to with a wind that would be completely wrong for most hunters....but it's an area we specifically call in order to take long shots.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Monday I set up and called into the wind ( 5 mph breeze ) I was facing north. Saw some cattle come into the picture and then saw a yote run in front of the cattle from right to left. NW of me was a hill ( Mound ) I thought he'd run over the hill to take another look ? So I adjusted my stand and called and waited and waited. No show so i turned and walked to the north to pick up my call and behind me ( NS ) 200+ yds the coyote was laughing at me as he ran off into the sage. So what should'ev I done ?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
So what should I've done ?
Sit still.......
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like you were probably calling too much, or didn't have full view of your flank.

Coyotes will trust their nose before they trust their eyes. They won't stop and look for very long if they can't see something to eat. They will continue to circle and try to get downwind of whatever it is they are hearing. That's the beauty of an electronic call.

I can put that 50 yards in front of me, so by the time it makes a circle to get down wind of the sound....it's actually coming almost right into my lap,

as soon as you first see the coyote, your call sequence should probably either completely stop, or turn into less frequent, very soft lip squeeks. If you are calling too frequent...he will key on the location and try getting downwind.
If he's not sure exactly where it came from yet...he will continue directly on path without circling.

If he got behind you down wind....you could have sat there all day and 95% of the time, you'd never see him again. Your set up should be a spot that lets you protect your flank, to prevent giving them the ability to circle.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
as soon as you first see the coyote, your call sequence should probably either completely stop, or turn into less frequent, very soft lip squeeks. If you are calling too frequent...he will key on the location and try getting downwind.
If he's not sure exactly where it came from yet...he will continue directly on path without circling.
This is very good advice.

At times, though, you just have to read the coyotes. I have had instances where the coyote would literally switch from nose to ears based on calling. When the sound was on it was a beeline, when the sound was off it was headed downwind while stopping frequently to look. You can play this to your advantage to position a coyote for a shot unless you have a hard charger. Then you have to shut the sound off as soon as you see them, and then try to shock them to a stop.

Ironworker, you would be pleased to know that the last one I finessed out of the tall grass for a shot using this technique fell to the 6mm284.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

I still have my 6/284 what bullet and load did shoot that coyote with ?