Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Did I Educate Them???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 AM

Did I Educate Them???

Question for the seasoned coyote hunter:

I was able to coyote hunt a couple spots I hadn't been to in many years. tonight, under a near full moon, I was on what used to be my best set for the second time this year. The first time I called just before dusk and came up empty handed.

Tonight I called-in and took the biggest 'coon I have ever seen (thought it was a coyote at first). After taking the shot I stood by and watched for any other movement. Moments later I heard approximately 10-15 coyotes sounding off from all directions and within a couple hundred yards. If it hadn't have been for the masked bandit I think I would have had several yotes on top of me in less than 5 minutes.

My question is: Did I educate the local coyotes with my calling and subsequent echoing shot? not sure how close the closest coyote was, but I was about 20 minutes into calling and from what I heard...I was likely in view. Any thoughts or recommendations? This is such a prime calling spot....hate to put it on hold this late in the year....I already have a late start to it.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: Did I Educate Them???

You probably didn't educate them but if you're worried about it, you could try a different call next time or, just sit and wait without calling. Coyotes frequently are seen at dusk.

Where I live, I haven't had any success in calling coyotes but have killed a number by just sitting and waiting at dusk or at dawn.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

I am no expert, but I do call some yotes in. We get a litter of young dumb ones every year. The ones that survive get smart and soon will not come to a call. I would let that spot cool for a week or two. Then try going in early am before light and calling just at first light. Any that get away are now a little smarter and only the young pups will usually come after a few lessons.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Coyotes hear shots all the time. If it were me I'd just give it a few weeks before trying again and use a different call. Maybe move your position a little.
I have a spot I like to call that is also a popular place for the locals to ride dirt bikes and go shooting so the dogs definitely hear shots and people often. I just get there before the sun comes up and call the same spot fairly often maybe every other month.
I've educated a couple coyotes there but it still is consistently one of my best spots. I just mix up my calls and sneak in real quiet. It sounds like there's a good number of dogs in your spot so there should be a fresh supply of uneducated ones every spring. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Have you ever been able to teach a canine something with just a single exposer?. The coyote is wary but not that smart. Coons are good practice anyway.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 PM

i dont think so. give it a week or so and try again but from a diffrent spot and sound!!
good luck. night hunting is a blast!! are you using spot light to?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM

Spot lights are not legal in Iowa so have to wait for a good moon lit night with snow on the ground. tomorrow night is supposed to be clear and minimal wind. from what everyone posted it may be too early, but I might give it a try along with a couple other sets. selling furs tomorrow too. by the way...that coon I called in measured 39 inches from nose to base of tail skinned. probably fetch more for it than a coyote anyway!