Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyots in the sand...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Coyots in the sand...

A cool story all the way through. One has to marvel at the adaptability of coyotes, they truly live sea to shining sea. Good picture , even unsuccessful was instructional in my view. What call did you use? What's their principle food source there? Are they aggressive with the dog walkers, and area pets?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

I don't think they are real aggressive with dogs.. That area is stocked with pheasant during the upland season. I'm sure they love those pen raised birds. The rest of the time they have the same diet any inland dog would have.. They do eat crabs, shore birds and ducks if they can catch them.. And beleive it or not seagulls.. I saw a ton of seagull carcuses. Reed distress call. I bite down on the reed to keep the pitch high. It seems to work better. I think it was a knight and hale. I had good luck called with a diaphragm turkey call also. But until today I was always busted before I saw them.

I had a north east wind today. It worked out perfect for how I wanted to work the area. If I call there again I'll wait for a south east wind so I can work the other side of the woods better. I'm only interested in rifle hunting them now. Or I would set up in The woods, it's fairly open and you can move around quietly.. But is more suitable for an AR or shot gun... My plain is solid for next time I head in there... Wait for a morning low tide and watch that trail like its a Taliban supply route.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Cool pics, thanks for posting. You may get burned but it makes the the sucessfull
days seem that much sweeter.