Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Are Coyotes Negatively Impacting Our Deer Herds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 AM
PUBLISHER

Are Coyotes Negatively Impacting Our Deer Herds?

Here is a fascinating article and discussion over at BigGameHunt.net.

Quote:
Several recent studies, however, have shown that the boom in coyote populations over the last 30 years may be impacting more than just small game, livestock and pet numbers. More and more biologists are discovering that coyotes can have a major impact on the fawn survival of whitetail deer, as well. Just how much of an impact this is having on overall deer numbers is yet to be determined, but it is significant enough to draw the attention of many of the nation's top deer biologists.
READ MORE >>

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are Coyotes Negatively Impacting Our Deer Herds?

I have seen it first hand here in New Mexico. Coyotes are way more active when the fawns are born. They are even out in the middle of the day looking for the easy meals. I have talked with many ranchers and locals around the area where I work and they all say that I wouldn't believe the change in the mule deer and antelope population from 30 years ago to now.

I for one am a firm believer that every coyote killed gives the fawns a better chance of survival.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Gold Member

Saw/see this happening as well. It is good/bad to see real data to prove what has hitherto been speculative.

I am going to have to redirect my energy to significantly reducing the varmints population.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

During 2011, coyotes killed 4 fawns on my property and an ajacent neighbors land; about 30 acres that is mostly wooded. I found 2 more fawns road killed. We are at a crossroad of two highways. I don't know what the space requirements are for whitetails; deer per acre or deer per square mile but losing 6 fawns (known) in a year seems like a lot.

Another thing I noticed here is that the coyotes do occasionally stalk my Labs when I walk them on State land that is near me. I recently let the air out of one with a .45 that approached to within 40 feet or so as we were getting back in the car. It was acting cautious but not fearful. Now it just plays dead.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

I don't remember where, but I recall one study that had 8 antelope fawns per 100 doe prior to control efforts, 88 after. Control is most effective if done in spring, as coyotes will fill back into an area, but fawns have a better chance when they are up and running. There is a series of game trail photos making the rounds of coyotes taking a mature buck.
When your "wildlife" department begins asserting "poaching" is the cause of big game declines-start talking fawn depredation/survival rates, and you'll know in a couple of seconds whether your dealing with animal rights activist with a badge and gun, or a serious professional. We're paying the bill-demand better service and don't leave tips.

Last edited by HARPERC; 12-21-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Gold Member

One of the biologist here in TN told me that coyotes kill 40% of our deer fawns every year.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Dogdinger see's this first hand from his porch w/re to antelope fawns every year. I don't remember the details, but I remember him telling me he watched a herd of antelope a couple years ago and not a single fawn survived. He got a few of the coyotes, but not soon enough. He might speak up here and straighten out my facts.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives