Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyotes morning or evening?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Bronze Member

Coyotes morning or evening?

When you guys hunt do you see more sucess in early morning sun-up till about 10 a.m. or in the late evening 5p.m. till dark? I know hunting at night can be effective also but I was just wondering when chances are best to get a coyote morning vs evening
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Coyotes morning or evening?

This time of year I've seen more in the morning than in the evening. I have also had success using the info from the pass shooting coyotes article. On sunday I went to an old hot spot that seemed to be dry due to too many hunters educating coyotes. I went early and saw 4 dogs in a clearing that I used to call in. I missed one at 789 yards I had dialed for 750 it was 744 when I originaly ranged it set up and left the rangefinder in the truck so I couldn't re-range before the shot. So I went back on Thursday morning and as I was glassing the same area I got the feeling I was looking too far took the binos off my face and caught the last one going into some bear grass at 310 yards. I never saw it come out and did not call because I want to go back in and try getting them at long range so I left as quietly as I went in. Ive gone out 5 times this year 2 mornings, 2 evenings, and 1 time midday (10-3 it had snowed the night before and part of the morning that day).
Fed 210M
Nosler Case
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM

Definitely mornings. If its cloudy, they can be active pretty late into the morning.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

I would have to say mornings usually put up the best numbers for me. It really depends on a few factors. Temp is a big one. Obviously colder the better. Also if they are feeding on dead animals or if they have to be out working for a meal. Cold weather has been known to make a coyote have to travel beyond its normal boundries to get a meal. Same goes for mating season. (coming soon) But, just two days ago I called one in first thing in the morning and then nothing. Then around 12:30-2:00 I dropped one more and saw 2 others out hunting that I never got a shot at. So you never really no. Thats why I try to go all day!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

I don't roll out to early but hit it hard mid morning through mid day. The only time I really hit early morning is if I'm in a new area and need to locate. I read a coyote study done at a sheep experimental station and they found coyotes most active around the 10:00ish range. I usually start around 8-9 o'clock and call till 3-4 o'clock.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

Statistically I have done better after 0900 to about 1100 or so. That said, I have shot coyotes and had them come well to the call at all hours.
I like the first hour or so after the sun comes up just because of all the activity then from bunnies, birds etc. It stands to reason then that it would be easier for the coyotes to hunt then too.
Mark
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like morning has it.... what is a good call to use? yea I'd love to have a fox pro but thats not gonna happen. $75 or less is my limit. I been looking at the Johnny Stewart Attractor and I migh get one. I hunt in the mountains so extreme long range isn't a big factor. Does anybody know a good call for that amount and where to buy it from?