Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyotes to 750yd setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 AM

Re: Coyotes to 750yd setup

I'm really appreciating the information. I do hunt at night as well and have decent success. See them about 70% of the time my twins and I go out at night. Just hard to hunt at night very much. Bought an electronic caller as I like to call just not much experience with it and very limited success thus far. Thing is, I can be driving up or walk out the door and see a coyote at anytime of the day (particularly this time the year, summer you only see them early morning or night) but distance is often further than I am ready for. I did shoot one a few days ago at 11:30am at 80 yds. They almost always stop and look at me at some point, probably because my dog starts barking when he sees me eyeing the coyote. Watched my dog play tag with one for 20 minutes at 7am this morning, craziest thing 50 yards from the house. Had pigs for the first time a few weeks ago (don't want those pasture and fence destroyers). They are around me just haven't had them on me until now.

We are loaded with jack rabbits here (and right now new born calves), and I'm sure that is keeping coyotes around. I'm 40 miles southwest of Fort Worth and the jack rabbit went the way of the horny toad (frog) around here years ago but we started seeing them again 15 years or so ago, don't shoot them, and they have made a big comeback. My kids now see them with the regularity I did as a kid. Didn't think that would happen. But it helps keep the coyotes in my livestock.

Sorry for the rambling, it's late, your responses lead to thoughts and questions that I would like to ask once I've re-read everything. I want to learn long distance shooting. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Texas- a coyote is a small and challenging target, even fairly close. shooting the rifles you have at paper targets at 100-500 yards will tell you your effective range ; and that you need a dedicated accurate rifle to pursue any distance shooting. the ones you mention are good for probably 200-300 yards.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Had another challenging situation last night. I went after a pack of wolves and during my 2 hour hike up the mountain I glassed a deer being persued by 2 yotes. A big male and a female. I had my 6.5-284 with Night Force NXS and NPR1 reticle. I was trying to remain hidden from their site and still pull wind, slope, distance, atmosphere to run a solution. They started at 400 and kept moving around, as yotes pretty much always do when on the hunt, and I finally sent a round at 575. I wish I could have filmed myself, it was pathetic. This gizmo, that gizmo....geesh.

So, here is my thought. A long range scope with drop lines, a range finder with Ballistics data, and a drop chart with wind hold seems to give the best and quickest solutions. My leica has a ballistics thingy in it that I am just starting to use. I made a huge mistake and should have already had it set for my rifle before I left the truck. I wish I had a G7. I think I will try and get one this summer when I have more $. The problem with the leica is that it only goes to 850 and the drops are pre set. My thought is that the drops are based on lower BC bullets than I shoot. The drop matches in the beginning but the not the end. So I used the ending drops as the error is highest at the longest range.

To make things easier on myself I should have: 1. set the Leica to my rifle. 2. Had my wind charts with me! If I had done this I could have limited my time spent messing with shooter for both distances and slope. The yotes were moving up a extremely steep draw where slope changed from 21 to 4 by the time I sent the round. If I had done these two things all I would had to do was fire the Leica, look at the wind chart. I literally could have just held up on the MOA lines in the scope and not even turned a turret.

So when looking at your tools for LR varmint hunting keep this in mind. I hope my inexperience and education helps you.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
SPONSOR

I feel your pain. A guy needs six hands and two brains, huh, Brent? Coyotes just don't cooperate well.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt35 View Post
I feel your pain. A guy needs six hands and two brains, huh, Brent? Coyotes just don't cooperate well.

Well if I had two brains I would just be twice as dumb.

I made it way more difficult then I should have. I am not using the tools in my bag nor my noggin correctly. I need to get out of rock and deer/elk hunting mode and into varmint mode. It was a good lesson. I am pretty good about checking my atmosphere and wind as I move up the mountain so I suppose I am doing some things right. As LR hunters know wind is a problem so I try and get a read on it constantly. Not even one time did I think about setting the range finder. DOH
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Texas- a coyote vital area is about the size and shape of a 12oz water bottle to me. it takes great rifle and ammo to hit that at any distance. if you are going to "learn " to shoot at distance you will be better off with rifle capable of a good degree of precision to hit a target that size with regularity.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

I don't think it was mentioned, but my .02 is to stick with one gun and master it. If u set up 2 rifles, I promise you will get long shots when u have the little gun, and vice versa. Set up a big enough rifle to kill em clean at 850+, and you will be good for everything between you and 850. You can't kill them too dead...i use a custom 300rum for everything from woodchucks to moose. Once you do it enough, you will know most of what to do automatically. With 2 rifles, you will have to think about things when you should be shooting. The kill zone on a coyote is much bigger with a big gun and heavier expanding bullet. Actually, there's not many shots other than its lower legs and nose that won't kill it with a 208 amax from a rum. With a 222, that's not the case so, I'd suggest putting your money and time into the 270. You need .5moa max for clean 800 yard shots on a 35lb dog