Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote shotgun double, pictures!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

Coyote shotgun double, pictures!

Yesterday morning I headed out to a ranch to do some coyote calling at about 10:30am. On the second stand I was real close to the top of the small mountain range.

I walked about a 1/2 mile from my truck to setup in some big oak trees at the top of a huge open canyon.

When I got to the spot the breeze was going up the hill just like I wanted it to.
I set my Foxpro CS-24 out about 15 yards away from me with the caller pointed into the big open canyon below me. I pointed my SP-55 speaker to the left of that pointing towards the top of the small mountain range. I sat down in the shade, right in front of some oak tree limbs that had grown all the way down to the ground.

I started out with Snowshoe High Pitch on volume 30. After a few minutes I lowered the volume to 25 for about 5 more minutes. Then I cranked it up to full volume 40 for about one minute and the lowered it back down to 30.

About two minutes after cranking it up to full volume I spotted a coyote, to my left about 500 yards away heading up the ridge towards me.

This coyote stopped a few times but was still heading up the ridge towards me when I saw some movement through the big oak tree that was in front of me. It was a coyote hard charging down the steep ridge to quite bit higher up the ridge than the first coyote.

I took a bunch of pictures of the coyote through the oak tree but those pictures didn't turn out any good.

The coyote stopped and looked right at me. So I lowered my right hand from the camera to grab my shotgun, while still holding the camera in front of my face with my left hand.

I expected the coyote to turn and run when he saw my movement for the shotgun. To my surprise the coyote started heading straight up hill again for me and the CS-24.

So I raised my right hand back up to the camera and took some more pictures.

When I was taking the above picture I realized it was time to drop the camera and pick up the old Remington 11-87.

The coyote was about 25 yards away when I shot it.

Then I saw a coyote flying down the steep ridge to the left of the coyote I just shot. I lead this coyote about the full length of the coyote and shot.

I missed so I doubled the lead to at least two full coyote lengths nose to tail and shot again. The Remington Wingmaster HD T Predator load dropped the coyote. It was at least 50 yards away.

I was so excited I never even looked for the original coyote that was heading up the hill. I just wanted to make sure both the coyotes I had just shot stayed down.

I blanked on the next stand and then went dove hunting. It was a great day.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote shotgun double, pictures!

Awsesome job! Way to get some great pics before the kills. Not an easy task im sure!

Keep it up.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

That's awesome! I love coyote hunting. Congrates.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Nice pictures!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
PUBLISHER

Nice going. How do you like your CS-24? I am going to get one.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Nice going. How do you like your CS-24? I am going to get one.
I really like the CS-24 so far.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:49 PM

never shot a coyote with a shotgun , was it a slug or buckshot ? and are they paying anything for the pelts ?