Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Scopes....Need advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote Scopes....Need advice!

I run a nikon coyote special 4.5-14x40 with the bdc, and for the money I believe was around $300 I love it. Great light gathering and clear glass nearly as good as the older leupolds dad and I have. After shooting at diff ranges and figuring out exactly where to hold it's hard to beat. Have you check any of the horus vision scopes or any scope using the horus reticles it's almost like cheating when i shoot my 308 at long distance repeatable and accurate first and second shot hits out to around 900yd with mine and in boring regularity...

I'm not a huge fan of illuminated reticle scopes never had much use for one myself but, in KY cant shoot after dark. Leupold has that new vxr series played with on in the store and they're pretty slick. The hog reticle looked pretty neat too, I'm not sure all the diff options with them but might want to take a look. Trijicon also has illumination in the accupoint and the mill dot with the illuminated center dot maybe about perfect. Mil holds for long distance and a bright dot to put on targets up close for fast shooting, they're got a 3-9x40 and a 5-20x50 in two or three diff color and a couple reticle options. We weren't trying to give you a hard time or anything like that earlier. We've all got that buddy with more money than sense and we didn't want you to fall into that trap...
If you are using a spot light for incoming yotes then i think any scope will do as long as you keep the power down. Maybe bushnell new hdmr scope 3-21x50, all the options out there can be mind boggling.
Google the light gathering properties of a rifle scope should explain this in detail. But from what I've gathered and have actually seen in the field, higher your magnification the darker you image will be. I can see better in low light with 4x than with 8x and that better than say 12-14x. Something to do with the exit pupil size or some such I can't say but look on google for more clarification.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

I use a nightforce 3.5-15x56 mil/mil adjustments on my coyote rifle. I am running a bat machine VR 90 with a McMillan A3 sporter and a lilja 3 groove 1-8 twist barrel in 22x47 lapua. bragging rifle? I refer to as refined and effective. I do like the nightforce scopes in regards to clarity, options, lit reticle and price. 15 power will give you the magnification to get out past the 600 yard mark quite easily and the 3.5 will get you on the running shots in close if things go bad. Snoop around on snipershide, you can usually find a good used nightforce in the 15x range for around 12-1350.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Window ; that sounds like a nice rifle but the $$$$ would equal at least half a new 570 BearCat Long track. Which would carry me into real good wolf pack country.
Even going on a general fur expedition calling can put 1k miles on a pickup.
I have heard that NightForce Scopes function well in the deep cold. 40-60 below. . That would be my reason to get one.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Look at the Leupold V6 2-12. There is a good review in this months LRH articles.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:22 PM

I use a Burris 3x9 40 mm on my tika t3 lite 22-250 and it has served me very well, it is a ballistic plex that has the holdover marks on it. I paid 200 bucks for it and if I were to lose it I would get another one in a heart beat, I personally do not think you need anything over 12 power, because at 12x a coyote is a big enough target out to 3 or 4 hundred yards if you were shooting gophers thats a different story I would go to a higher magnification thats just my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

I like my Ziess 4.5-14x50 above all my other scopes. I think that power range is the most useful and versatile for hunting applications. The clarity of the Zeiss is better than most under $1000.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

I too have a model 10PC in 223 as my go to coyote rig. Mine is wearing a Nikon 4-16x50 SF scope. I have a custom turret on mine, specifically for Hornady superformance match ammo 75gr. The reduced wind drift and retained energy with those bullets makes it a practical gun, provided the wind is not blowing too strong. I hated working with the 55gr Vmaxes, they have a huge wind deflection post 250 yards and lack killing power too. Out of a 22-250 the 55's do better, but thats not what we are talking about.

For the times when the wind is expected to blow harder or with a bigger critter (including hogs) I have a model 12 in 243. The ballistics of the 243 are pretty good. I can shoot 95gr high BC bullets with the standard barrel. Going up to 115 vld's will require getting a replacement match barrel. That gun has a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. I love the scope, but it sure does add bulk. The reticles on the FFP scopes are actually useful but I have not had much opportunity to use mine in the field yet. If we ever get winter again in lower Michigan, then some coyotes may actually show up again....