Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Scopes....Need advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Coyote Scopes....Need advice!

May be the wrong thread here, but I have a newly purchased Savage Model 10 .223 in the Precision Carbine. Its now my go to Coyote gun. I'm looking to put the very best scope under $1000 on it. Will be shooting close and far, day and night. I've always been a big target DOT reticle fan for easy on target running shots, but a lot of manufacturer's don't have that option available. Not sure if theirs better. Illumination? 56mm objective, 4-16, 4-24 power? Zeiss, Meopta, Leupold, Burris, Minox, Nikon, Bushnell, etc.....? I'm so lost. Been at this for days. I have a chance at buying a Zeiss 3-12x56 MC is the first focal plane and regular crosshairs, but not sure if this is a good choice for Coyotes. Its new and willing to sell for $625. Believe there around $1000 elsewhere. Not sure. Just need some real advice from coyote hunters on what they like, or wish they had, scope, reticle, etc... Thanks for the advice.

Jason
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote Scopes....Need advice!

Sounds good to me.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

1 Where are you hunting? around thick woods on the east coast or out west where long long shots are possible
2 Are you packing this gun long distances or sitting around just watching?
3 Is this a dedicated coyote rig? Are you planning on shooting gopher or pd at stupid long distances

I've ran 3-9x40 on a 243 for yrs, dad bought me this gun when i was 12-13 and it's what i had. I built a ar-15 and run a 4.5-14x40 on it and for 95% of my shooting it's been plenty. I recently moved to alaska and will be buying a new coyote and wolf rig in 243win something in the neighbor hood of 4-12 or 6-18 is all I plan on using. I know several buddies that bought 1k rifles and 1k scopes and aren't any more successful than I am, most of the time we hunted together. One has a custom build 220 swift don't want to guess how much he has in it and a 8-32 leupold the gun isn't fun to pack around watch him struggle with it constantly. He has yet to need 32x on the scope and I've watched him struggle with anything inside 100yd. Takes him forever to get on target and if one comes in close I'm the one who ends up shooting.
Most of my hunting has been in KY and TN I've hunted yots since i was 13 or so and to date my longest shot has been right around 400yd. What I'm trying to say is you don't need stupid big magnification to hunt yotes, you are using a 223 so I'm guessing majority of your shots will be 400yd or less. My 308 wears a horus hawk 3-12 with the h58 reticle I've target shot to just shy of 900yd with it and 12x was plenty there.
My advice is to spend around $4-600 on a decent scope and spend the other $600+ on ammo and calls or trips to go hunt.
Leupold for me is the standard by which other are judged. I'm happy with the nikon and my new rifle will end up with a redfield revolution 4-12x40 for about $260 it's going on a ruger american rifle which I can get for about $350, and it's not going to hurt my feeling a bit to go out and bust brush and scratch and dent it all up.
What I'm getting at is you don't need to spend a ton of money to have a rifle capable of taking yotes at any distance you have business shooting them with a 223. One of my army buddies spend a good 5k on custom precision 308, add to that about 2k for a nightforce scope that I can see the machining marks in the staples we hold our targets with. It may shoot a lil better than my rem700 which i have around $1700, but the groups aren't 4k worth of difference for me. Save the extra money and use it to buy ammo and learn to shoot your gun, know exactly where it hits at any given range and you can't go wrong. You will have more close shots than far ones in my experience and if you pick up a couple dvds Randy Anderson is my fav most of the shots they take are inside 100yd. Maybe buy a good shotgun with the left overs...lol
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

I think Dog buster has it pegged pretty well.
There is a big difference between putting fur on the ground. And having a bragging rifle. If you have lots of $$$$$$$$$ great. A friend of mine builds 15'000$ big bore rifles. They sure are nice. But they won't kill anything any quicker than my old and trusted 458 will. I think the scope your discussing sounds like a good scope at that prices. But today, laying in the snow at 18 below zero I printed a, half inch 3 shot group at 200 yards with my Savage Edge 223 with a 4-12x40 Nikon ProStaffusinsg range pickup brass and 55 gr Hornady Spire points pushed by Varget.
To me tho that isn't good by high dollar standards. Its definatly great to me. I have about $510. Into the whole rig.
If it were me I would get a Leupold VX II 4-12 with the LR duplex. And spend the extra $$ on a good dependable elect. caller , mouth calls DVDs by R.A. ect.brass bullets primers and powder
I would much rather put an extra 200$ into powder primers and bullets than into a higher dollar scope.

But nice glass IS nice. But in and of itself it won't put more fur on the ground ..
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

I guess I should have been slightly clearer on my post. Im not looking for the best scope for bragging rights.....???Not sure where that came from: Im looking to other coyote hunters for heir opinion on what they think is the best coyote scope? Reasons someone may think this or that scope is the "best" coyote scope may include: light gathering capabilities at low light.....when a lot of coyotes come out; or a particular scope because its the only one that may come with a certain reticle and it makes it easier for fast running coyotes.....things like that. Has nothing to do with money. I stated in my original post that my newly acquired Savage. 223 is my coyote gun, and its job will be shooting day and night, close and far. This indicates that i will need a scope that is able to have a reitcle that can be seen at night, yet works in the day, and can go to a low enough power to shoot a coyote at 20 ft, yet have a high enough power range to shoot 600 yards. Hope this clears up the confusion of "having the best scope for bragging rights", and the confusion of "what Im looking to use this gun/scope for. Thanks for all the advice. So, whats the best (in your opinion) coyote scope, size, brand, reticle, etc....

Jason
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

I find the circles in my Nikon BDC to be easy to deal with.
I had a Burris 1.5-6x E Dot scope that was very easy and fast. Even in bright daylight on the snow .. shooting running animals it really helped keep my focus where it needed to be
I'm hopeing to put a Burris FF E1 3-9x50 lighted reticule on my 6.5 Creed when I get it.

For durability the Leupolds have always been the most long term consistant . .

I think no more than 4x at the bottom end of a Scopes power range is a good Max. For me anyway.

I think there is quite a difference between a sniper scope and a hunting scope. As far as ease of use with limited time looking thru the scope.
I think the Nikon Coyote Special reticule could use a dot in the center of the center circle.
Sorry if I went off.
A guy I know out west has had S+B . Zeiss, and Swarvorski Scopes and they all broke. He's not overly hard on his guns but litterly lives by them. He's a P.H. and homesteader/ trapper. He likes Leupold because they don't break down.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Silver Member

P.s I like hold over reticules for a fur scope. Duplex reticule s are OK for Max point blank range but on a 223 that's only around 250 yards. Or so.