Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote in Quiznos.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Coyote in Quiznos.

So I was watching the news last night and I saw this story where a coyote walked into a sandwich shop in Chicago and sat down in the beverage cooler. Here's the story...

"CHICAGO For one day, at least, the roadrunner was safe. It seems the coyote was hankering for another kind of fast food. Employees and customers at a downtown Chicago Quiznos sandwich shop were stunned to see a coyote walk through the propped-open front door Tuesday afternoon and lie down in a cooler stocked with fruit juice and soda.

"It wasn't aggressive at all," restaurant manager Bina Patel told the Chicago Tribune. "It was just looking around."

Employees and customers calmly cleared out of the restaurant, though some took the time to finish their sandwiches and snap some cell-phone photos, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. Animal control officers took the passive coyote away after about 40 minutes, after a curious crowd had gathered outside.

"This one definitely I will definitely remember forever. A coyote in downtown Chicago," Quiznos employee Rick Torres told WLS-TV.

The city captures 10 to 15 coyotes every year, especially in the spring when they are most active, said Anne Kent, director of Chicago Animal Care and Control. Veterinarians will examine the coyote and, if he is not injured, release him into the wild."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Coyote in Quiznos.

the only prob with that is that they are releasing and not killing it. Varmit=kill
Old 04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

I saw that story. That dog did not seem too impressed with the situation it had gotten itself it. It looked a wee bit on the scared side of things [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

I read an article on Coyotes in the greater Chicago area a couple of months ago. A Northwestern Univ. grad student did a 2 year study on them. They found out there were something like 3-5000 coyotes in the Chicago area. They estimated the average life span was about 5 years... a 5 year old coyote is one smart puppy!! Their infant mortality rate was about 1/4 that of a rural coyote, and they were almost 100% nocturnal.
A couple of years ago they had a coyote run into the Federal Building here in Seattle... and that's right downtown. It eventually got trapped in an elevator but it caused quite a rucus for while. They also had a coyote attack a 5 year old boy in Bellevue last year in about September. It's truly amazing how many coyotes there really are running around town. Every time I see a "Missing Cat" sign I just laugh... I guess the coyotes know cats taste like chicken too! ~JT
Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

screech, you got it backwards. City coyotes good! Poodle nabbing and cat killing city coyotes show the yupees of the world that hunting for animal control is a good thing. Keeps them in touch with the survival of the fitest. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Sometimes yotes act very strange. Lase summer my neighbor's wife called and asked me to come over and see a yote in the back yard.

I got there and there was a yote, about the same age as the Quizno's one. He was very intently picking russian olives out of the grass. We stood there talking about 25 feet away from it. I climbed onto the trampoline while the yote was under it. He didn't care a bit just like the yote in the cooler.

I talked to a bunch of people who should know and no one had a reasonable explanation. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

Soooooooooo..........

I throw out the calls and get a six pack of pop and fruit juice and quietly crawl into the woods and open them up, one at a time, directing the sound up wind, right??

What kind of pop and fruit juice do I use?? Do you think some Quiznos sandwiches opened up to let out the scent might help?

As the coyote comes in do I make the sound of munching on a sandwich or guzzling a soda??

If the coyote winds you and runs off, do I shout "TOASTED" or what????

Do you think a cooler with the top open, sitting there in the woods would be too much.....??

Maybe I could hide behind it......

Need some help here.

Jim