Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote hunting, Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Coyote hunting, Tips

I have only ever hunted coyotes once but didnt land up shooting any (called them in but do to houses in the area couldnt shoot). Anyway, over Christmas I was hoping to try my new2me .243win out on a big chunk of family land in the Monashees. I was hoping for a couple of good peices of advice from some vetran yote hunters. Im using a "hot dog" call I believe (the one from Randy Andersons videos). Thanks and I look forward to hearing some "as always" good advice.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

re: Coyote hunting, Tips

I have been using electronic calls with no avail. Then I bought a Double Howler and a Sonic Dome from Primos, Randy Anderson endorsed. I was practicing ne near my house, where there are swamp thickets, and had some responses to a challenge howl. Our season starts in January and runs until March here in NJ.
All I can say is try to pay attention to the wind. If you had called them in before, I don't see a problem of you doing it again on this new piece of property that you are on.
The problem that I have is that I don't see them when I should. They are always crossing the road at night.
Additionally, I have learned alot from Randy Anderson's videos. See if you can pick up "Calling All Coyotes". There are several volumes that I own, and I have learned alot from them.
I hope that I have helped. Shoot straight, hit 'em hard, and send some pics!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Welcome,
The 243 can be a bit hard on fur but puts them down to stay. Make sure you always cover the down wind approach cause thats the direction they will come in from 98% of the time. Most yote hunting success will depend as much maybe more on your setup.Watch the wind and stay still or move very slowly.

As for elec. calls I just got the new one from foxpro called the spitfire 199.00 and they will load 24 sounds of your choice,it is replacing the Johnny stewart preymaster 3. checkout www.allpredatorcalls.com . As for mouth calls a simple closed reed rabbit like a weems knockoff type or a catnip is good to start.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

If you have snow just get out and follow coyote tracks, learn how they travel and how they use travel corridors and hunting areas. Then you don't have to worry all the time about where the coyote is coming from you already know what he's going to do if he's in ear shot. I've trapped coyotes for years and it is the best training for calling there is because if you don't know where a coyote is going to travel and put his feet you will never catch one.
Get ready for a serious addiction, the shakes are normal along with the giggling
Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

new at this to here is my delimah I am in MN so I think most of my hunting will be vary close to a swamp or thick cover. Shot gun what shot #4 or 6 and how long do you stay in 1 spot and how manny spots do you have for a night out? I talked to the DNR baiting and 24 7 is legal in this state. I got 1 idea trap rabbits in my yard tie them up for a decoy and when I leave slit them bring a new 1 every time. This 1 I have to call them back!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

I was also wondering if there is something I can do to increase my odds of getting a cat to come in (just thought it would be cool). There are tons of bob cats in my area, see one everycouple times deer hunting on the same land.

If anyone is near Vernon B.C on monday that has some experience I would love someone to show me the ropes. Merry Christmas and God bless!!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Silver Member

Make or buy a decoy. Place a can of sardines near the decoy. The decoy will catch their attention and the sardines will give them a scent. This will give you alittle more time. I carry the sardines or whatever else I might use in a tupperware container. It's not fool proof but it does help some