Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Howling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Bronze Member

Coyote Howling

Got out at daybreak this morning and on the first stand, I had a coyote to hang up at about 150 yards in the woods and just howl for thirty minutes. Never had this to happen. Any ideas what was going on?

"If you're not speaking from experience, why are you talking?"

http://varminthunters.createaforum.com
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote Howling

Bark bark howl usually means they noticed you as human or knew something was wrong, in my expirience. They may have also thought you were a bigger badder coyote in your own yard type deal. It kind of depends on your calling sound. When this happens to me I try to move un-noticed to the coyote because you know their location. I travel to a new location leaving my call on vole squeeks in my original location and get down wind a hundred or more yards, kind of a spot and stock hunt. If that effort does not work I then try a ki-yi or dying rabbit.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Bark bark howl usually means they noticed you as human or knew something was wrong, in my expirience. They may have also thought you were a bigger badder coyote in your own yard type deal. It kind of depends on your calling sound. When this happens to me I try to move un-noticed to the coyote because you know their location. I travel to a new location leaving my call on vole squeeks in my original location and get down wind a hundred or more yards, kind of a spot and stock hunt. If that effort does not work I then try a ki-yi or dying rabbit.
Don't say that rooster.....that don't look good on me....LOL. Busted again.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM
SPONSOR

Yup, busted....
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

I had the same thing happen to me a few days ago so I pulled the flank maneuver on them. they were so focussed on my decoy and caller that when I did my best ki-yi from two hundred yards from my caller which was still calling, they came a running at me. Ha ha and stupid acting. I woofed and shot one, then the second coyote stopped at 300 and I disapointingly missed it as big as I could have. I went from busted to one down and one educated.

It does not always work but I have had good luck with this.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

It's mating season. They howl a lot right now. Howling back right now is a good way to kill them.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
It's mating season. They howl a lot right now. Howling back right now is a good way to kill them.
Gonna give that a try. Thanks.