Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote hides worth anything?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM

Coyote hides worth anything?

Are coyote hides worth anything (dollars)?

Went out coyotes last year called in 10 in two days but they stayed out about 200 t0 500 yards and looked towards the call and decoy. They would just sit (like a dog) and after about 10 minutes would just turn and run.

I have read a lot more about coyote hunting, upgraded some gear, got into shooting past a 100 yds. in the last year and am getting ready to try again.

My wife shoots and I call the shot so far we have many a dead rock and tree stump to 500 plus yds.

But do any of you guys skin the coyotes or just leave um is there a market for them?

Earl
Old 10-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Coyote hides worth anything?

In CA the coyotes are usually so small and scraggly I don't want to touch'em, let alone skin them out. But, if you get some nice winter fur there might be a market for it.... Talk to your local taxidermists...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

From what I've heard there is alot of coyote fur in warehouses so they will only be looking for the very best or free coyotes. Cali does not have good coyote fur, besides if you think you smell now skin a couple and put them up, it's worth more than a few bucks but if you can find somone who will give you something for them in the round then all you have to do is shoot and transport. On the other hand don't leave dead coyotes laying around move them to spots where they can just go away without the public knowing about it.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

Been sellig hides for a long time now, The Western Heavy' Dogs might bring a little. But this is not looking like a great Fur yr. I Just have a hard time leaving them lay without skinning them, I think the yotes are so dang pretty when they are all put up, Well heck I go so far as I do not hunt them at all until the fur is good in the late fall winter. And quit when they start breaking in LAte Jan,Feb. HEre is a few Just because . I'd love to see others post some Pic's.

Not to try to steal your thread!!!

Last edited by Yotebuster; 10-07-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Wow what a beautiful set of hides!

I noticed from your title information you are from Lakeville OR. We hunted yotes (great word “yotes”) just south of Klamath OR. on the California side. In two days saw 10 yotes, there were no shortages of animals.

Are the ones you are showing from the same general area?

In short I haven’t hit one yet to be able to see it close up. I don’t like the idea of leaving them lay but if there is a couple of dollars in it or someone to trade something for them I would skin them. I figured I would roll them up and freeze them until I can afford to have a few tanned.

Bought a Fox Pro FX3 caller
A crow that turned on sounds like a mob of crows
And a rabbit that shakes when turned on.

Had lots of problems with the Fox Pro but they say it’s fixed now, but we shall see.

Thanks for the info and again awesome set of hides!

Lets see some other pics guys.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

I'm about 100 miles or so East of Klamath falls. I hunt in Oregon on the Nev border.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

"Just have a hard time leaving them lay without skinning them, I think the yotes are so dang pretty when they are all put up"

...here's to that! I can't leave 'em lay either. I've sold some of mine to tourist shops tanned before, and friends.