Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

coyote calls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browningvarmintwssm View Post
1) where at in NC are you, i'm around concord, but i hunt in anson mostly.

2) check this guy out, deathcardcalls.com his name is Thomas Haynes...he's got some great stuff, here's some of the calls he made me. $48 to my door

the pics just don't do them justice! tell him that adam sent you =]
+1. Thomas builds some great calls.Mucho better than any production call.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Hunters Specialties J.S. Preymaster Digital Caller - Predator - Sportco

I am really thinking about the John Stewart preymaster (link above)
It has interchangeable cards and on predator masters forum comes highly recommended .Has anyone seen/Used this?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 PM

if you are still wanting to do the electronic caller go to Coyote Calling with Free MP3 Sounds. check out the caller he built. i recently put on together and have about $65 in it. it works great...we used it a couple weeks ago for the first time and called two dogs out of a river bottom. we lost shooting light, so no kill...but i was impressed with the call. i do alot of mouth calling also. i just like the thought of me actually calling up dogs not someone else on an mp3. i am at fort bragg/fayetteville if you want to get together sometime and i'll show you what we use. im not sure how it is around raliegh...but around here we got alot of hog farms...so i just recently got a pig sqealer to see if itll work...ill let you know after this weekend. feel free to email me bnorton325@yahoo.com
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Bronze Member

Gemcat,
If I was you,(which I was back 34 yrs ago) I would just start with a couple hand calls, learn to use them and it might surprise you how well they may work for you.

Yotefever mention using the Crit'R'Calls, that's the calls I would of mention too. I have used the "peewee" call for many many years...works darn good. I am still using it too.

Although I do have a 3 electronic callers, I am still using my mouth calls more.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM

I have a Preymaster and it's a solid unit. However they have a newer model with built in speaker that is smaller and easier to carry. That remote speaker on the Preymaster is another thing to carry around. I put mine on a snap-link and hook the speaker to my fanny pack or back pack for quick and easy deployment when I move into a stand. Less movement that way.

To be honest though, about half the time I leave it behind and just carry my mouth calls, which always go with me regardless of whether I have the Preymaster or not.

The Foxpro series are good callers too, but more expensive.

The most use I get from a Preymaster is locating coyotes with howling. The howling sound on my card is very good and saves me from blowing my guts out as much. Once in a stand though, I prefer mouth calls. In heavy wind the electronic is nice, but I rarely hunt in that much wind anyway.

I can't knock electronic calls, I own one and use it. But they are an investment, and more to lug around. Here in CO, alot of my hunting requires me to park in a designated area and walk long distances, so that caller gets to be noticable.

If you don't mind dropping the change on it, and don't mind carrying it around the field, they are nice luxuries to have.

Lastly- I have called more songdogs to mouth calls than the electronic. That could be due to any number of factors of course, but I've just noticed better success with mouth calls.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

I have the preymaster digital and love it. It has 60 feet of cord(I believe). I hunt alone 99.9% of the time and like to put the speaker away from me so the animals aren't looking/running straight at me, it gives me some latitude to move into shooting position if needed. Take a seat, strap the box on your leg for easy access and place the rifle in the shooting sticks. I got my first cat a couple weeks back on the last day of season in open woods and I think the cat would have seen me pull up to shoot if I had a call in my mouth, it was coming in on a string. I carry a howler as well and it gets alot of use. I like the electric call also because when I see a critter coming in I can turn it down low and keep them coming, then when I want them to stop I just turn it off. Usually stops them for at least a few seconds.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.