Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Which coyote calling sounds to use in Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
PUBLISHER

Which coyote calling sounds to use in Wyoming

I am heading out to an area 40 miles SW of Newcastle, Wyoming right after Thanksgiving. My main purpose is to scout this area for a mule deer trip next year. But while there I plan to hunt coyotes for a couple of days.

I will be using a Foxpro FX3 with 30 sounds, pretty good cross section. So what types of calls would you guys suggest I try first? My 30 included calls probably include something similar to what you would suggest.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which coyote calling sounds to use in Wyoming

Len, are u considering hand calls at all? I use hand calls almost exclusively as a walking hunter. I don't call as much these days unless i'm taking friends out. When i was calling a lot i used mostly open reed calls from the Pee Wee Crit'R call to the Magnum Crit'R call (that one sounds like nothing i've ever heard dying, but that doesn't make a difference as long as u make it sound like something is dying or hurt). It's the worst sound i've ever heard and the coyotes love it. The big advantage to it being the volume it puts out, as well as the odd sound. The only 2 calls i carry on a lanyard are my howlers. They go with me anytime i'm hunting coyotes whether it's spot and stalk or otherwise. The howler is the ace-in-the-hole, as i've never seen a coyote that got ediucated to that call. External reeds calls are extremely versatile with the sounds they can produce, from Ki-Yi's to howls they can all do it.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

I also use strictly mouth calls I like the fact I can change the pitch and sound instantly and adapt to what I am seeing how the coyote or fox is reacting.

howls and rabbit are usually the most popular.

I use the screery AP-6 it is a partially closed reed, and depending on where you bite down it will give you various pitches. I carry three around my neck due to the fact saliva will cause this call to freeze very easily. I have also had one person howl and one distress call, this has produced some good results.

I would stay away from the monotone repetitive sounds I just don't think it sounds very reallistic.

when first calling volume can be an issue, I have seen people blow close coyotes out of the area because the started out with excessive volume.

just my thoughts

good luck

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 11-16-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Gold Member

Len,
I've called 3 in the last week to Jackrabbit distress and pup distress.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Bronze Member

Lightning Jack on the Foxpro always seems to work good for me.
Good volume and a sound that gets them moving in a hurry.
Never hunted Wyoming but I have been to Newcastle once......
beautiful country, it should be great calling.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
PUBLISHER

Hey, guys, thanks a lot for the ideas.

I do plan to learn to use hand calls but not on this trip. After a few trips with the Foxpro I will know more about which hand calls to get.

Although after Sendero_Man showed me how he calls last September I am almost an expert already! And I own this really cool bridge that......

Steve, I hope to see one out there that I can spot and stalk, too.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

I have been having some good luck here in the Wydaho border lands with howling, challenge howling, pup, snowshoe hare, cottontail, woodpecker and fawn distress sounds. (YMMV) Have to be some of those in the Foxpro?