Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Calling Location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

I hunt yotes all year long, every year, every chance I get. I go to alot of the same spots 2 or 3 times in one day I just use a differ call and differ string of calls. I find some yotes wont come in with one call but I'll go back a couple hours later with another call and they come a running. In cooler times I sit about 20 minutes or less, when its hotter I will sit about 45 minutes. OH, if its warm enough for my kids to handle it we are a fishin too.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Bronze Member

Yep, we hunt dogs pretty much year-round also. Usually start in August and stop around June for coyotes, cats actually have a season out here. I start with mostly prey sounds in the fall, then switch to coyote/cat sounds in the winter, and use bird, fawn, and mating calls in the spring/early summer.

I've called the same place for coyotes a lot, but not usually the same day. Cats have no memory, so they can be called in the morning, shot at and missed and called in again in the evening. I've done it. Cats are VERY patient, but don't learn much.

Remember; while coyotes and cats both use their ears...dogs hunt primarily with their nose....cats hunt with their eyes. Keep that in mind and you will do well.

Good hunting to you!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Silver Member

coyote

I hunt them all year day or night, I don't save many of the hides I just want them thinned out, they have really hurt out groundhog hunting. I think a lot of hunters will make a set up and possibly get busted and then the next couple of times when they call from that spot they feel they have educated the coyotes. I believe that about 75% of the time there are just not any coyotes in hearing and that is why they are not responding if they are 2 miles away your not going to call them in. If you have ever tried to teach a domestic dog anything how often have you done it with just one lesson. In January I called one in and it got downwind of me and and busted across an open field I shot at it and missed. The next evening I called from the same spot and when I was getting up to leave busted again. the 3rd day in a row I called the dog in from the same place and killed it I cannot be sure it was the same yote but it was the same size all three times. The key to killing these things is not the perfect set up or the perfect call its persistence.