Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Calling Location

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Coyote Calling Location

Hay Guys

I am Need a Little Info about Coyote calling Location .

"1"
I am Looking for How long do you hold before you return to the Same set up Location

I try to wate about 2 to 3 week before I return to the same Set Up Location

"2 "

I am looking to see What time of the Year in the Fall do you Start Coyote Hunting an when do Stop Coyote hunting in the Spring an Start Fishing .

I start Hunting Coyotes In Aug in the Fall an stop about May In the Spring .

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards

Last edited by redbone; 01-25-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

I start by Halloween when the furs are better and end at the end of Feb when mating season is over.

I like being in the snow thus I'm out more when there's snow on the ground.

I go to the same spot as close as morning and evening on the same day and have been successful at both times.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

I need an Little Info

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

As to when to come back to an area after you called in, I agree with Roy. Coyotes can have a pretty decent size home area, around 6 sq. miles in some areas. Obviously, if they aren't in hearing range the first time you call you aren't going to spook them. If you do spook them while calling, wait a week or so and go back in with a different call and set-up. A different stand location is a good idea, too.
As for the second, depends on your location and if you want to keep the pelts or not. I have seen Montana dogs starting to look good the first of Oct. If you don't care about the pelts, get going before the regular hunting season gets underway. The pups are about full grown and are still stupid. Hunting season wises them up, the ones still left. Otherwise, do like Roy does and wait till after Halloween.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:27 AM

If you are gonna call the same place more than once, don't call from the same spot. Try mixing it up - call from a different section of the field, lie prone out in the field, whatever it takes to throw a curveball at them.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

coyote calling

I'll go out in early October to build blinds and prepare calling locations.
The landscape changes from year to year with landowners building new fences, developing land, or breakign new land.
I build blinds that provide me with comfort, visibility, easy short distance foot access becase I don't want to wast time walking far in the season.
I like to be in the shade when the sun is shining, and even a cradle for holding my rifle. I carry snippers and clean up shooting lanes of new growth trees and overhanging branches.
I start calling from Oct 20 - Feb 1
The full moon nights are great and the full moon daylight hours are worst.
As the season progresses the calling gets more difficult becuase they're looking for love and more wary.
I change up my calls ...rabbit distress...chicken distress...jackrabbbit....howls...barks....fawn distress...use a different call each time.
I wait 20 minutes at each stand early in season and by Dec 1 I'll wait 45 minutes.
I insure the wind/breeze is in my face and have good visibility of the land downwind. They'll circle you up to a 1/4 mile away.
Coyotes can smell you up to 500 yards !
I carry a huge jar of trappers scent formula that I place open downwind to mask my scent.
Make sure your face is covered in camo screen
good luck...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Bronze Member

You can hunt the same place time and time again year after year. I can't count the numbers of times that I have called a place in the morning with no takers and then come back and call in a couple later that day from the same spot. If you have a lot of private and controlled places to hunt then you can rotate through them. Most people have to work and such and get to hunt on weekends and the time in between those hunts is plenty enough time to rest an area. If you are calling on public lands, then you might be giving it a two or three week rest, but what about the other 20 coyote hunters that are hunting the same places?

I start in mid august and go through the end of March and then it is turkey season.