Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Attacking Antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Coyote Attacking Antelope

Got a call this weekend and was asked to head up north here in MT to help a rancher. He lost two calves to coyotes in the last week. They had also just got pounded with two feet of snow and high wind conditions.

So the father inlaw and I set out to try and help thin um out a little. I just mounted my new NF on my new browning 270 WSM. Decided to leave the 22-250 in the truck since there was no point in being fur friendly.

We saw a total of 16 dogs yesterday but most were not within range or spooked to soon. We spotted one laying out sunning on a snow drift so we set out to put a sneak on m. On our way in we pushed a few speed goats out of the draw and next thing we knew there were four coyotes on the move after them. Didnt get a shot. So believe it our not I still had to walk over the hill and sure enough that same dog was still sleepn. Must of had a full stomach. Well, he never got a chance to wake up from his nap before my 150 gr berger entered behind his right ear at 362 yards.

Then I got to witness something I had never seen before. We spotted another yote a long way off that was moving over a ridge. As we high stepped through the snow trying to cut him of, he turned and was coming toward us. He got to a group of cattle and all of a sudden took off on a dead run down the ridge we had just came from. And sure enough there was a doe antelope trying to get up the hill on the other side and couldnt get away fast enough. It only took that dog a few trys and he got it by the leg.

That doe was stuck in the snow while that coyote was just chowing down on its upper leg. So of coarse we had to put a stop to it. My partner in crime made the 315 yard shot which was not that easy. The excitement alone made it a difficult shot, not to mention he had to send that 105 gr Amax right by the faceing antelope. Both animals were facing directly towards us. Not an amazing shot by any means but one not to forget!

So thats my little story for the weekend. Just wanted to share with you guys.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Coyote Attacking Antelope

A major sized plus 1 for you fellas.

Those damn yotes know under what conditions they can succeed in munching a meal.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

They sure do. That thing ran over 500 yards to get to it. He KNEW!

And by the way. Both those coyotes fell dead no more than 70 yards from eachother. They had been alomost a mile apart!

Man do I love huntn coyotes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

What's the rules/regs/req'mts on if a fella from ID wants to shoot a yote in MT?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

All you need is a rifle. You dont need a tag and you can shoot them year round. Its great!
Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yote doctor View Post
All you need is a rifle. You dont need a tag and you can shoot them year round. Its great!
No license, no nothing, just show up and shoot 'em?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
No license, no nothing, just show up and shoot 'em?
That's exactly what I'm thinking , maybe he will answer in a moment

I can see it already. Honey were goin to MT on vaction this year . She says okay then you drag out the smoke stick ;)