Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote Archery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Bronze Member

Coyote Archery?

Hey guys, two friends and I go coyote hunting with our bows. I was wanting to hear some tips and advice that would be helpful. We call coyotes and they come in and look at us from about 100 yards away so not a bow shot. We see plenty of coyotes but all are over 100 yards. Another thing I was wondering is do you have to use small game heads or will a broad head work just as good? Were all new young hunters so were trying to get experience in archery. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Coyote Archery?

i would definitely use the best broad head you can get your hands on. they are tough to kill. and a good blood trail is gonna be what you want. good set up is gonna getem in closer. but you should have pins set to 80 or so yards if you can shoot that accurately. as a western hunter, most of us have learned to shoot out to 90 yrds. into a nice group. you need to practice a lot. get a 3D target if you can and use it as much as you can. bow tune is very critical for successful long range archery. make sure you paper tune the bow to a perfect bullet hole and broadheads should hit where field points do. just my .002 good luck...
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Coyote Archery?

I know nothing about archery but have some experience with yotes not coming within range of my weapon.

My problem distance was 600 yards which was what got me into LRH. Went from a 270 Win to a 270 AM. Problem solved.

What you are doing is reinforcing education of yotes that have been educated by others. Its a national problem. I'm certain Obama will come up with a solution one of these days.:roll eyes:

I have no idea of what LR is with a bow but my son-in-law is consistently coyote accurate to 60 yards.

The problem is there is too much movement in making the shot. Our work around is I do the calling and he does the shooting. We do some strange setups but so far I haven't got shot. . . I man the rifle. He mans the bow. So far it hasn't worked out all that well for the bow side of things. And I get a lot of running shots.:roll eyes:

Decoying the quarry's attention from the prime shooter seems to be the secret. Which hasn't been completely figured outů.

An electronic call with a decoy would seem an appropriate suggestion.

Night calling works well also except for the lack of light.