Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coyote 243 Bullet Choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Coyote 243 Bullet Choice

Im new to coyote hunting, but I been varmint hunting for several years now. The longest kill on a groundhog was right under 400 yards. The places i got to coyote hunt this year offer shots a little over 600 yards. I bought a remington sps varmint in 243. I replaced the factory stock with a HS Prescision Varmint stock and got the trigger adjust down to 2 pounds which is very crisp and does indeed break like glass. I have it topped with a bushnell banner 6-24 and leupold rings. I was wondering what bullet choice would be good for coyotes at longer ranges. Im a big fan of sierra blitzkings and would like to give the Nosler BTs a try. I was thinking of using the 70grs in either one. But i would like to hear opinions on my set up and bullet choice. Im open for all opinions on bullet choice. Do coyote hunters prefer velocity on just energy because I hear alot of coyote hunters use the higher weight bullets with slower velocities. The reason i thought about the 70grs in because my velocity would be around 3400fps. Any ideas or opinions is appreciated.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Coyote 243 Bullet Choice

There're a lot of good intermediate polymer-tipped bullet choices (500-600 yds.) for that setup, but the 87 V-Max is a standout with a BC of ~.4. That is the bullet i have tried to get to shoot out of 2 24's, but so far haven't had any luck. This is a 6 AI and has made several 1-shot kills between 4-500 yds. using the 87 Hornady BTHP--
Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

The 70 grn load at 3400' / sec. should have a similar trajectory as my 22-250 thats shooting 55 grn Bergers at 3750' / sec. You would have the wind advantage however, probably 8-10 inches less drift at 500 yds (10mph wind).

I've shot literally 100's of coyotes (a couple out as far as 600 yds) with the fast 22's. If the shot was in the vitals, the coyote died pretty quickly. The 70 grn load you're thinking of should work wonderfully as long as it shoots well in your rifle. I've heard that .243's can sometimes be picky about the loads they'll shoot well.??

Good Luck Hunting.

Last edited by SBruce; 01-03-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

The Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 243 suck!!!!! I have shot several coyotes a little forward and hit the shoulder, zero penetration just splash wounds knocking them of there feet but then they try to three leg it out of the country and need a second hit. I shot a couple badgers that took 3 or more hits before getting enough penetration to kill it.
I have not shot a BT since, absolutely worthless bullet IMHO
The V-max is awesome for coyote control and is my usual varmint bullet out of the 22-250 or 243. Going to buy some Bergers tomorrow to see how the do.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 243 suck!!!!! I have shot several coyotes a little forward and hit the shoulder, zero penetration just splash wounds knocking them of there feet but then they try to three leg it out of the country and need a second hit. I shot a couple badgers that took 3 or more hits before getting enough penetration to kill it.
I have not shot a BT since, absolutely worthless bullet IMHO
The V-max is awesome for coyote control and is my usual varmint bullet out of the 22-250 or 243. Going to buy some Bergers tomorrow to see how the do.

Wow, that is suprising to me. Sounds like something nosler needs to hear about and fix!! Just out of curiosity bigngreen, how close were you too the dogs and badgers that needed additional shots??
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM

I use nosler BT'S in several of my rifles, according to nosler they are a long range hunting bullet, I cant recall the exact muzzel vel. but I was told by nosler customer service via email that at short range traveling fast they have been know to break apart " explode on impact" because they are designed for long range. you might want to email them and tell them your rifle, bullet combination and see what they say. for some reason 2500 fps comes to mind.

I shot 2 bucks, one spike and 1 button buck this year plus a cyote with my ruger 77 mk 2. in 270wsm using 140 gr. bt's. all three shots were within 150 yards. they yote was approx. 120, and he fell over, didnt even move. the first buck was at 60yrds and he ran about 20 yards. it was a thrue and thrue shot right behind the shoulder. the 7 pointer was a 30 yd shot into the shoulder the bullet didnt exit but the buck only traveled 10 yrds. IMHO BT's are a great bullet. Ive never had a failure with that combo.

again just my 2 cents.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Shots were from 25yrds to around 250, 300yrds. I really dislike the BT's function on game, splash wounding and just messing things up. I have heard they improved the design but I had so many problems with them I won't give them any air time for game. They are a very accurate and nice to shoot. This is just what I have had happen, some swear by them. I should try them again and not be closed to them, I did try the Bergers for hunting and they were very impresive on game.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"