Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

A Couple of Soggy Dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM
SPONSOR

A Couple of Soggy Dogs

Snow on the ground here yesterday so I decided to make a few stands. I haven't used my snow camo all year--pretty bizarre. Stand three had this mature male come on the run. He stopped 10 yards from the caller and 33 yards from me. Shoulda' had the shotgun.

The snow was melting fast. (I now know why they sell camo long underwear...don't ask. ) I went to the rim my son shot his bobcat on a couple of weeks ago. Since I was targeting bobcat, I just took my rifle. Ten minutes into Adult Cottontail another mature male coyote comes bounding down a low spot in the rim and right down the hill to me. Forty five yards--shoulda' had the shotgun.

He turned out to be a Jay Nistetter Two-point! (White tipped tail.)

Stand five was blank.

The last stand of the day was a Kitchen Sink stand. We have had the same coyote charge our stand twice this year without being able to connect. Fast in and fast out and won't stop for a bark. He's the main reason I decided to learn to shotgun coyotes so I double carried on this stand.

I changed things up a bit and set up a couple hundred yards from where we called from in the past and started with some Female Invitation howls. After several howls, I had a high voiced coyote howling back from a ridge to my right. To make a long story short, I used distress, howls, pup distress...everything but the kitchen sink and finally gave up at over 30 minutes--a long time for my coyote stands. As I muted the caller and started to turn off the remote, I hear thumping behind me and to my left and turn to see a coyote leaving Dodge. It must have seen me fiddling with the remote. I jumped to my feet and sent a Hail Mary load of four buck at it at 65 or 70 yards to no effect. Shoulda' had the rifle.

The first coyote was pretty rubbed. Too much warm weather here this winter, I guess. Time's short for fur season. :thumbdown:

Good hunting everyone!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: A Couple of Soggy Dogs

Thanks for the good read. Congrats on the yotes!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

I hear ya on the short season stuff! I called in 3 the other day and shot 2, one had rubbed so bad the fur was pretty well useless! This warm weather can wait a couple more months!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
SPONSOR

Thanks, rosborohunter.

Justin: Yeah, the breeding season will be in full swing here in a month but normally we would have another couple of weeks of good fur here. It always makes us wish we could have done more hunting earlier but, hey, varmints are just around the corner! No off season!

tt
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-30-2012, 02:22 AM
Bronze Member

Pretty sad when ranchers are starting to ask ya when your going to start shooting praire dogs in late janurary!
Old 01-30-2012, 12:30 PM

Good read and great pictures.