Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Cougar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

I am new here on the board, this is my first post.
Here in WA (prior to the ban on using dogs to tree a cat) they used to use a 22LR on them.
The reasoning was, bleed them out, then they will fall out of the tree once they loose consenous. This prevented the cats from leaping from the tree after being pluged with a high power round and fighting out with the dogs until it expires.
These days here in WA, unless it is a special permit for damage control, the use of dogs is out of the question.
Any standard deer hunting rifle is more than sufficient for putting a cat on the ground.

Good Luck,
Don

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member

Last edited by Chopaka81; 10-11-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: sp error
Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero_Man View Post
come on Roy.... Cat is the "Other" white meat...

Mine was good when I got it .....

backstraps were real tasty !!
Don't know about Cougar meat first hand, but I can attest to bobcat being excellent (cooked over a cedar fire with a touch of salt)!!! MMMMM!

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Don't know about Cougar meat first hand, but I can attest to bobcat being excellent (cooked over a cedar fire with a touch of salt)!!! MMMMM!

AJ
I can tell you first hand Cougar is the best meat ON THE PLANET, when done right. I have traded Elk and prairie Antelope for Cougar, it is that good. It IS the other white meat, and must be cooked to 160+/- as you would pork.
If you have some you want to get rid of, some PM me and I will give you an address to ship it to.
Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)