Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Coon attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Coon attack

I went out yesterday evening to see if I could call up a Coyote. About an hour before dark. I set up in the edge of a small patch of woods over looking a field. I was sitting in one of those low beach chairs and After 10 minutes of calling, I saw something out of the corner of my eye right as a coon jumped at me. I jumped and it sprung off my shoulder. I scared him as much as it scared me. He ran and climbed up a tree. I have had coons come to the call before, but that is the first one I have had sneek up and jump on me. I guess I was lucky he didn't bite or scrach me. I had my dog with me and she was 20yds. out in front of me being a decor. I think I will forget the decor stuff and let her sit by my side from now on. I need a guard dog more than a decor LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Coon attack

Coons aren't especially sneeky, might wanna pan your head and eyes a bit more frequent if a coon got the jump on you.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
Coons aren't especially sneeky, might wanna pan your head and eyes a bit more frequent if a coon got the jump on you.
Yes and eyes in the back of my head. LOL He did come in from behind me as I was blowing the call. I am hard of hearing also. My dog will protect my back next time. She is a Mt, Cur and want let anything man or beast get close to me without me telling her it is OK. She has killed 3 coons that have ventured into the back yard at night. Plus possums,snakes and armadillos. Nothing makes it out alive. Never had her with me when I have called a coyote.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
Yes and eyes in the back of my head. LOL He did come in from behind me as I was blowing the call. I am hard of hearing also. My dog will protect my back next time. She is a Mt, Cur and want let anything man or beast get close to me without me telling her it is OK. She has killed 3 coons that have ventured into the back yard at night. Plus possums,snakes and armadillos. Nothing makes it out alive. Never had her with me when I have called a coyote.
Well my dog just caught another coon trying to get into the yard about 15 minutes ago. By the time I heard the fight and got my shoes on, the coon was dead. This evening I went out to the same place the other coon jumped on me the other day. . When I set up , there were 8 deer out in the back of the field. 2 nice 8 points. I watched them for a while then let out a coyote howl and they took off. I called for about 30 minutes. I left and went over to the creek and set up for beavers. Sometime I am lucky and they come out before dark. About 30 minutes before dark one came out of his bank den and I put a 75 A-max into his head at 40yards. Whipppppppppppppp
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_bass16 View Post
Nice! that's funny chit