Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Calling sequence question from new hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Calling sequence question from new hunter

I have the Foxpro and the Mojo decoy but I am very unsure what calls to make this time of year and in what order. I know I should start out low volume but do I start with a rabbit call or coyote locator call and then what call is next and do I wait several minutes in between calls????? I need an instruction manual for new coyote hunters I guess. Any help appreciated. Thank you!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: Calling sequence question from new hunter

Congrats on getting some high quality stuff first off. I hunt in ky and I'm positive there's not one in the state that's never heard a rabbit call so i seldom used those sounds. The locator sound whether siren or just howls i always use the night before i hunt to find out where they're at at any given time. I mostly use bird sounds and switch between them, i vary my stands sometimes using the electric and some i use mouth calls. I have a foxpro spitfire and feel my mouth calls are louder. I start off calling softly or with my volume low, i feel if there's one close I won't shock him quite as bad this way and increase the volume and "craziness" of my calling.
Most areas i hunt are moderate to heavily wooded, i try to stay on the edges of fields just inside the tree line. Once i've done that i'll move to the top of draws, next stand will be roughly 1/2 way down the draw and then at the bottom of it. I also like river or creek bottoms i feel the sound carries better, and i can usually see a good distance. I always carry a shotgun as well, i shoot a rem 870 with 3-1/2" dead coyote heavy shot loads in T-size, my rifle choice varies depending on the area I'm hunting usually it's my ar in .223 with 55gr ballistic tips but, if the terrain in mostly open or i expect long shots 350+yd I carry my 243 with 75gr hp. It can be a lil awkward carrying two long guns and it's quite the spectacle when checked by a game warden the time will come when the shotgun is much needed. After calling in several and not being able to shoot because of brush I carry my 870 every time... I may not need it at all that day but, if you need to make a close up shot nothing and i mean nothing replaces the smack down which a 3-1/2" load of t-shot will place on a dog inside 50yd, rest assured they'll go down with authority when hit!!! Looks like they've been struck by lightening or God himself has smited them.
Best advice I can give you is not to get discouraged you're chasing the best predator in the area when you match whits with them. He lives there spends his entire life learning the area and you are on his turf, you'll have dry stands many more than productive. My buddy and i hunted them hard for almost 3yrs before we called one together, I know of others that've hunted for yrs and yrs and still never killed one. But calling in just one with a good friend is worth all the time and money spent to do it. For me there's no better feeling than knowing for that day at least I'm the baddest mother in the woods, I've out foxed the best pound for pound predator around.
Keep your chin up keep after them you'll eventually be rewarded with yotes. It's a lot like fishing you'll make cast after cast and be doing everything right you'll have days you don't catch a thing...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

Thank yoy for the sage advice. I'll keep at it and maybe I will figure it out ....eventually.

All the Best,
Jim
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Bronze Member

I too am from Arkansas. Southwest Arkansas. I had made a few stands with my Father In Law the past several years with an old Johnny Stewart tape cassette call and some mouth calls. All to no avail. However, I vowed to really get into it. Santa helped by placing a new Foxpro Fury under the tree. This is my experience since Christmas:
The second stand on my first outing was atop a steep mountain ridge. It produced a beautiful female coyote that came to within 15 yards. She came to Lightening Jack and Dying Jack and succumbed to a load of 3 1/2 inch #4's. I am thinking the morning thermals keeping my scent up in the air helped. I made one more stand that day that was a wash.
The first stand on my second outing produced 6 coyotes charging to the call at once. I managed to kill the first one that stopped with my 22-250, but cut air at the vacating 5. These came in to Lightening Jack, Dying Jack, some coyote vocals and then Lightening Jack again.
I made a couple of evening stands yesterday after work and they were both a wash. I was hunting with a buddy on his lease. I saw no yote sign anywhere, which explains the poor luck. However, on the last stand I did manage to fire a bunch up about a mile away.
The common denominator with my successful stands was the fact that I knew there were coyotes in the area. I had no knowledge of the coyote population in the area I hunted yesterday evening.
I am just spending as much time as I can in the woods and using a variety of calls to find some that work. It seems to work for me.
My novice advise would be to get out there, find some sign and keep confident.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks very much for the reply. I guess howls, rabbits, and etc. all work at certain times. I just wish I knew when ( time of year) to do what. When do I start with a coyote sound and when do I start with a prey animal sound and how should I mix calls on a stand?? I understand setting up and taking advantage of the wind and thermal currents but not what kind of noise to make.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Bronze Member

What part of the country are u hunting Jim?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Bronze Member

I hunt mainly Eastern OK and Western Arkansas. Brushy country with dispersed small openings. Great bobcat country and lots of coyotes.