Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

A called pair of coyotes...which one do you shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

A called pair of coyotes...which one do you shoot?

I'd like to hear from those that have called more than one coyote at one setting.

If you're calling and a pair of coyotes are coming to the decoy, the decoy has their attention and both are within the range of the weapon you're using...

Which one do you shoot? What's your reasoning for your choice?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old 05-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: A called pair of coyotes...which one do you shoot?

Shoot the closest one first. Or the one you know you can kill with one shot. The second shot will either be running or quite a bit further. The setup and terrain will usually dictate if there will be a second shot. I use to think shoot the farthest one first because you'll have more time to shoot the close one but if you blow the far shot you usually won't get the next one or you'll blow it too cause your compensating for your last miss and not the shot you're taking.
Fed 210M
Nosler Case
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 PM

I will usually shoot the smallest one first since it is usually the female, a male coyote will wait up for the female where as the female will just take off and run to the next county without looking back. A good thing to do in either case is to get a pup distress call going right after the first shot and it will increase your chances of getting a double.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

I always shoot the farthest one first as it will be the least aggressive and the second one which is the closest you can often stop them or they are so close you can pick them on the run any way. Before I start pulling the trigger I have it worked out in my head, boom cycle bolt while moving to second one, if he looks like he's stopping I let him if not I swing through and pull the trigger just as the cross hair passes his chest, cycle bolt, get the giggles under control

I almost all ways hunt with a partner so as soon as the farthest one drops the second one does also. We called in 5 a few weeks ago and we got so excited we let all but the first one get away

I've had the second one stop and check out the first one and piled both of them on top of each other. I also like to have the caller or remote operator take the first one then go to a coyote in distress to slow the second dog down for a shot. Then again some times they just hook and book.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

I will shoot the close dog first then switch to a bark or pup distress and the second one will usually stop and give you a chance. Sometimes the rear dog will just stand there after the shot and watch the front dog, or go bite at it.

When more then 2 come to the call it gets even more intresting.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierofchrist View Post
I will usually shoot the smallest one first since it is usually the female, a male coyote will wait up for the female where as the female will just take off and run to the next county without looking back. A good thing to do in either case is to get a pup distress call going right after the first shot and it will increase your chances of getting a double.

Winner !! this is the correct answer.

If you shot the male first, which is usually the closet or aggressive coyote, you will have a slim to no chance at stopping the female and harder by far to ever call back. Running shots have little success.

You should always shoot the female first ! The male will stop or be called back in with far more ease and your success on doubles will go way up. 9 times outta 10 he will stop and look back. It is easy to read the body language and tell when is slowing and gonna turn back and look....

Guaranteed !!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

I agree...

If it is a male/female pair shoot the female first the male will run but will stop to look back for the female.

If you shoot the male first the female will be moving out as fast as she can and will not stop to see if her mate is following.

I know same thing happens with us humans...