Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Caliber/Range/Animal Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Caliber/Range/Animal Question

Hi, this is my first post on LRH.com. I have a question regarding predator hunting in Northeast Pennsylvania. I am looking into buying a firearm specifically for predator hunting in the thick woods/open fields of my area. The fur will mostly be an afterthought, although I may consider keeping it or selling it in the future as I gain more experience in predator hunting (i.e. I'd like a fur-friendly. My quarry will consist of mainly coyotes and woodchucks, although fox and bobcats will be an option if I can find the time. Most shots will be under 100 yards, although there are some spots on the property where a 500 yard shot could be had easily.
I am interested in the .223 AI, but I am afraid it won't be good out to 500 yards. I hear the .22-250 Remington is pretty good, but I am afraid of the damage to fur at shorter ranges. Reloading is not a problem, and I am willing to go wildcat/custom (I would actually prefer going this route).
I may be asking for alot, but can any New England Predator hunters who have been in my situation reccomend any custom/wildcat weapons of theirs. Include your kills if possible. Let's roll!

Last edited by MACK133; 01-08-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit submit
Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Re: Caliber/Range/Animal Question

Nobody?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

Mack
Welcome to the Forums. I live in TN but have been to PA once or twice. Our hunting situations are a lot alike. The land is a combination of woods and open fields that keep most of our shooting a short to medium ranges. But, as you say, occasionally we find a spot to stretch our shooting out to longer ranges, especially on groundhogs. You're right about the range limitations of the 223 class of rounds. They don't have the punch of the 22-250. I've killed most of my varmints with the 22-250 for the last 40 years. I've bought every new varmint caliber that has come along in those years. There have been some good ones. They allow a shooter to customize his choice of firearm to his present quarry and situation. But 9 out of 10 times when I grab a gun to go groundhog, fox, coyote, crow, or whatever my quarry, I grab a 22-250. What I will change however, is the type bullet I carry with me. If I shooting prairie dogs or 13 line ground squirrels, I'll use 40-50 grain thin jacket bullets. If I want to save fur on coyotes, fox or bobcat, I'll shoot a heavy 55-69 grain, solid built bullet such as a solid, bonded or partition bullet. These same type bullets also work well on deer when placed in the right spot.

So, my vote is for a good 22-250 Rem. for all your varmints out to around 750 yards. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 AM

Thanks Nimrod! I did say I was interested in the .22-250. However, I am really afraid at the damage it will do on the majority of furbearers which are found within shotgun range, especially foxes and bobcats.

I appreciate your opinion, so if you have any experience with coyotes/foxes at 15-100 yards with minimum fur damage, please tell me. Enty/exit size? Pics?

Maybe somebody can suggest a Contender/Blazer-type gun where I can easily change calibers in the field, perhaps a .223 to .22-250 or even .223 to 6.5-284 or something like that. Are there any combination guns out there?

EDIT: P.S. I've heard people suggest it so I don't want it to be said this time. I know somebody will tell me to bring along a friend and we use a shotgun/long-range caliber combination between us. This could be done sometimes, but 99% of the time, I can't find anybody to tag along, so I need a do-it-all caliber for when I cannot bring a friend.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

If I'm hunting where I think there will be a close shot I carry a rifle and shotgun. Rifle set up beside me with bi pod fully extended and shot gun in lap. I have taken yotes out to 300 with my 223, If I think farther shots will be needed I take my 243. I shoot 4 shot where I think I might call in a fox and #4 buck if just yotes, in the 223 I shoot a 40 grain vmax and a 75 vmax in the 243. I try to avoid bone like shoulders. I like a facing shot as it minimizes pelt damage.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

22-250, 220 swift, or any of those calibers will work just fine for you. Id love to get my hands on a 220 swift Are you set on a 22 cal?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Midwesthunter has it right carry both a shotgun and a rifle.
If that is to much you could carry a good handgun for close
in work, but I like a short 870 loaded with 3inch #2 or #4s.
Good ammo can be found on sale after turkey season for lead
or copper plated shot, and after waterfoul season look for
sales on Tungsten shot. I had a gunsmith cut down a barrel
to 20 inchs and rethread it for choke tubs and run a full choke.