Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting


Reply

Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #57  
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Temecula CA
Posts: 377
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceabel View Post
I am working with the Mk-262 round. With a 1:7 twist it is good out to 800 yards. You really have to load your own to make it cost effective. The load calls for a 77g bullet. I am using IMR 8208 XBR or sometimes Varget for powder. I built my lower using a Geissele trigger. I bought the 18 inch bull barrel upper from White Oak. I use a Weaver 6-24x42 Varmint scope with the .223 reticle. When shooting the extreme distances, you might want Burris signature zee rings using the 20 moa inserts. Hard to miss.
I'm loading a 75 or 77 grain bullet in my AR as well. I normally run the Hornady because its less expensive than the Nosler or Sierria 77's and my AR will shoot all three equally well. When I built my lower I used an ALG trigger which is made by the a company owned my Mr. Geissele's wife. Anyway I have full faith an confidence that my Mk262ish load will will carry the mail. Some folks hunt deer with that round (obviously not at long range) but I don't want to start that debate again. Besides thats what my 308 is for. I can't wait to take this rig pig hunting.
__________________
.308 Howa 1500, 24" varmint barrel, Harris bipod Bell & Carlson MkII tactical stock. 4-14x50 tactical scope from Wonder Optics.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 35
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceabel View Post
I am working with the Mk-262 round. With a 1:7 twist it is good out to 800 yards. You really have to load your own to make it cost effective. The load calls for a 77g bullet. I am using IMR 8208 XBR or sometimes Varget for powder. I built my lower using a Geissele trigger. I bought the 18 inch bull barrel upper from White Oak. I use a Weaver 6-24x42 Varmint scope with the .223 reticle. When shooting the extreme distances, you might want Burris signature zee rings using the 20 moa inserts. Hard to miss.
Sounds like you have a nice setup with your AR! Nice trigger choice! I'm not familiar with the MK-262 round. I currently have a Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 scope mounted usind Nikon M-223 one piece mount with 20 MOA. I have a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 with BDC reticle on order from Cabela's coming Monday. I can'y wait to get it mounted and sight it in.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 35
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsii64 View Post
I'm loading a 75 or 77 grain bullet in my AR as well. I normally run the Hornady because its less expensive than the Nosler or Sierria 77's and my AR will shoot all three equally well. When I built my lower I used an ALG trigger which is made by the a company owned my Mr. Geissele's wife. Anyway I have full faith an confidence that my Mk262ish load will will carry the mail. Some folks hunt deer with that round (obviously not at long range) but I don't want to start that debate again. Besides thats what my 308 is for. I can't wait to take this rig pig hunting.
That's interesting about ALG being owned by Geissele's wife. So far I have only fired 50'ish grain bullets in mine. I need to get back into reloading. I haven't done it in 15 years! I no longer have the equipment. With today's prices, I'll be looking to buy new equipment soon. The AR is great for pig hunting! I just picked up some hand predator calls. I need to practice and get better at it so I can hunt coyote. I have never hunted coyote. Should be exciting!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N. Texas
Posts: 204
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Ron, You're going to love the MONARCH 3 you have coming. I had the pleasure of using one recently and the 4-16 BDC reticle had me pinging steel at 500 yards every time I pulled the trigger. 10 for 10 was my best.
Good luck with the coyote hunting, it can be addicting the first time you call one with in range and with what you're using,in range will almost be as soon as you see one.
__________________
My name is Bart, I am a longtime hunter and I am here to answer any questions on Nikon hunting optics you may have. I will also be sharing new products and specials on occasion.
Nikon Pro Staff
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 1,175
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Sounds like you're deep into it with that AR. Sure are fun ain't they? I went a bit different route than most of the guys here for a predator hunting AR. I wanted as much downrange performance as i could get out of it so had mine chambered in 223AI, with a 9-twist 26" Hart[shoulda' been an 8-T though]. I also scrounged up a couple of the old DPMS VLD magazines they used to make so i could shoot 75 A-Maxes efficiently in the magazine. Worked great. My best load gave me .75 MOA accuracy at 2940ish fps. I also tried the 65 JLK Low Drag with fantastic long-range accuracy, but have moved away from that bullet for hunting and now use the 65 Sierra GK for most of my AR hunting these days, as i feel it gives me the best ALL-AROUND performance at both short and long-range out of a 22 cal. AR.

IMO the longest practical range for shooting/killing predators efficiently is 500-600 yds. with a 22 caliber AR. That's the best i've been able to accomplish anyways with any degree of consistency/accuracy in the field on basically a 6" live target.

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 35
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
Sounds like you're deep into it with that AR. Sure are fun ain't they? I went a bit different route than most of the guys here for a predator hunting AR. I wanted as much downrange performance as i could get out of it so had mine chambered in 223AI, with a 9-twist 26" Hart[shoulda' been an 8-T though]. I also scrounged up a couple of the old DPMS VLD magazines they used to make so i could shoot 75 A-Maxes efficiently in the magazine. Worked great. My best load gave me .75 MOA accuracy at 2940ish fps. I also tried the 65 JLK Low Drag with fantastic long-range accuracy, but have moved away from that bullet for hunting and now use the 65 Sierra GK for most of my AR hunting these days, as i feel it gives me the best ALL-AROUND performance at both short and long-range out of a 22 cal. AR.

IMO the longest practical range for shooting/killing predators efficiently is 500-600 yds. with a 22 caliber AR. That's the best i've been able to accomplish anyways with any degree of consistency/accuracy in the field on basically a 6" live target.
I love the AR platform. Nice pic you posted. Beautiful coyote and And AR. You mentioned the 223AI. I'm not familiar with it. How does it compare to standard 223?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 1,175
Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Ron, the Ackley Improved [AI] configurations of any cartridge is just the factory case shot in an Improved chamber. The case is blown out on the sidewalls and the shoulder gets a bit sharper shoulder angle, in effect creating a bit bigger case capacity. I net maybe 100-150 fps. more velocity over the std. 223 case-

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC