Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Is the scope you ordered a 1 inch tube or a 30mm tube? If it's 1 inch, pick up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 from walmart for $70 until your scope comes in. It's mil-dot, but 99% of the people I have talked to like them, and then you will be able to shoot your gun immediately.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
Is the scope you ordered a 1 inch tube or a 30mm tube? If it's 1 inch, pick up a Centerpoint 4-16x40 from walmart for $70 until your scope comes in. It's mil-dot, but 99% of the people I have talked to like them, and then you will be able to shoot your gun immediately.
The centerpts are surprisingly good for the $$$. I put one on my kids old Remmy 22lr. I my mind, it shouldn't be competing with my higher end glass... but it does. It's definitely no Monarch or Luepy VX, but is still pretty clear glass. I haven't even tried the turrets (other than sight in), so I don't know if it tracks well, but for a cheap backup, it does great. It'll get you by while ya wait.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
Yes, it`s 1 inch. I'm quite fortunate. I was going through an old stash of mine and found a Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 scope. I mounted it today. Now I need to sight the rifle in. At least this will get me to finally be able to shoot my newly built AR! Then when my new Nikon Monarch3 4-16x50 comes in June, I can swap the scope out and sight in in again.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
The centerpts are surprisingly good for the $$$. I put one on my kids old Remmy 22lr. I my mind, it shouldn't be competing with my higher end glass... but it does. It's definitely no Monarch or Luepy VX, but is still pretty clear glass. I haven't even tried the turrets (other than sight in), so I don't know if it tracks well, but for a cheap backup, it does great. It'll get you by while ya wait.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Not a bad idea to have for a backup.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Bronze Member

This is a picture of my AR withe the temporary Simmons AETEC 2.5-10x44 scope mounted.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?-image.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

AR looks good. I myself don't like the longer barrels mainly for weight and manuverability reasons. A lot easier to pack around an 18" or less barrel. Other then that I like it.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
AR looks good. I myself don't like the longer barrels mainly for weight and manuverability reasons. A lot easier to pack around an 18" or less barrel. Other then that I like it.
Thanks! I'll be sighting it in Saturday. I can't wait to shoot it! I hear ya about the length and weight. After a bit of use, I wil see if it works for me.