Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

Again, Agree with Ican. AR style mount should give you the height and allow easier mounting for proper eye relief. FYI, Nikon makes a M-223 AR Mount, 1 with 20 MOA for long range shooting ( what I would suggest for you) and one without. Look for the M-223 XR. A quality QD mount is nice but you'll pay over $200 for a good one. Think about how often you might be taking the scope off and that will be your answer as to how useful a QD mount will be for your needs.

When you get it all mounted up, measure mid bore to middle of scope. That is the number you'll use in Spot On to get the most accuracy.

Here's a pic of one of my AR's with a MONARCH scope and Nikon M-223 XR mount. Makes for an easy cheek weld and quick target acquisition.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...0/204Ruger.jpg
Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
depends on the size of your face. With the blocks and an avg sized head I'd start with mediums.
Thanks patience.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
I think you will be better off with an SPR style mount from Larue, Bobro, Leupold, ADM or nightforce than rings. They are much better and far more forgiving, you can remove and re-install your optic in seconds with no loss in zero.
Thanks ICAN, gonna check out the SPR mounts you mentioned.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman940 View Post
Again, Agree with Ican. AR style mount should give you the height and allow easier mounting for proper eye relief. FYI, Nikon makes a M-223 AR Mount, 1 with 20 MOA for long range shooting ( what I would suggest for you) and one without. Look for the M-223 XR. A quality QD mount is nice but you'll pay over $200 for a good one. Think about how often you might be taking the scope off and that will be your answer as to how useful a QD mount will be for your needs.

When you get it all mounted up, measure mid bore to middle of scope. That is the number you'll use in Spot On to get the most accuracy.

Here's a pic of one of my AR's with a MONARCH scope and Nikon M-223 XR mount. Makes for an easy cheek weld and quick target acquisition.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...0/204Ruger.jpg
That is a sweet looking rifle you have! By the way, I looked at the various mounts that you and ICAN mentioned. I've decided to go with the M-223. I like the mount. I don't plan on taking the scope off. So I won't need a QD. And I like the 20 MOA. And it's on Amazon for $67. A Win Win!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like you will soon be heading tot he range! I'm sure you are looking forward to it. Make sure you post some pics and let us know what you think.
Good luck!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Bronze Member

Well, I just found out that my scope is not arriving until the 1st week of June now!So, looks like I have nother 6 to 7 weeks of waiting. Hoping Nikon doesn't delay the release any more.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

I received the Nikon M-223 XR scope mount. It looks great! It's solid and sturdy. I attached a couple of pics.