Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Boo-Ya! The Local Coyotes Are In TROUBLE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
SPONSOR

Boo-Ya! The Local Coyotes Are In TROUBLE!

I bought a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator Rifle in .204 Ruger back in March. I just finally got around to sighting it in yesterday evening. I know, I know, I should've got'r done a long time ago, but finding time and good wind conditions is not easy around here. Besides, usually when the wind is calm enough for me to sight in a rifle I end up going coyote calling instead. Anyway, I have a twin to this .204 in a 22-250 and it has accounted for several large piles of dead coyotes. While the 22-250 kills coyotes dead "right now". It often kills my chances of recovering a few dollars for its hide. It is not a fur friendly round. So I bought the .204 as a more fur friendly rifle. The is always some apprehension when buying a new rifle and wondering whether it's going to shoot well or not. While the Ruger Predator isn't as expensive as a full blown custom rifle, it's not exactly cheap at around $800.00 either. Once I got my rifle sighted in, I decided to try for a group. Here is the very first 3 shot group @ 100 yards using 40gr Vmax. Needless to say I am a very happy camper. I wouldn't want to be a coyote around me this winter. ;)

It can literally be covered with a dime and room to spare. Who needs a $3000.00+ custom rifle with groups like this? Okay before anyone gets their panties in a bunch I love custom rifles, but a nice surprise like this from a factory rifle gets me giddy.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Boo-Ya! The Local Coyotes Are In TROUBLE!

Your new medicine stick appears to be well tuned! Good hunting!

Pete

A 'do nothing' Congress is not always a bad thing. If they pass enough laws, it should be entirely possible to sterilize one's complete life experience.

"The 'tolerant' left has come full circle... and has now become what they so despised."
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

Nice! Happy to see someone else having good results with this setup. I just bought a Hawkeye predator in 223 to hopefully serve as my primary varmint rig. I'm not a great shot by any means but I got sub moa with 55gr fmjs. That was just to get it out and give it a try, now it's time to get some coyote loads zeroed and bust some dogs. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Very nice! Been wanting a .204!