Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Best time of year for coyote hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Best time of year for coyote hunting

I just returned from a trip to northern California, where I had shot several coyotes in past years. The results were.....zip...nada...nothing. I attributed my lack of success in calling them in due to the fact that there were so many cottontails around and, since I am still a novice, that the coyotes just weren't hungry enough to move their butts into shooting range. I was well-camouflaged, used fox urine to cover any scent problems, and just had problems getting them to come in, although I did hear several responses to my calls a long distance away.

The weather was relatively warm, even towards the end of October. The dismal shooting results made me wonder if shooting during cold/snowy weather might make for better shooting, provided that the food sources for coyotes were less available due to those sources hibernating, etc. Any thoughts on the best times of the year for good results, or does cold weather make no difference in how hungry the coyotes are? I shoot in relatively heavy rabbit and ground squirrel country, and know that ground squirrels are active mainly in April and May. They hibernate most of the remaining months, so this leaves rabbits as the main source of smaller game for coyotes...at least where I hunt. If rabbits also hibernate during cold weather or during the winter, I will plan future hunting trips accordingly. Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Best time of year for coyote hunting

Up in Montana they are around all year long. The jacks herd up in the winter, but the cotton tails don't.

The best hunting I have found is after the river freeze over. You set up where you can see both ways down the ice. Then start blowing softly on a fawn bleat.

A couple winter ago I was set up about 150 yards from the ice, on this little knoll. I was calling when 2 coyotes came a running down the ice and started up the hill. There was a few trees scattered around, and they were racing to see who would get there first. When I set up like this I use a turkey blind (3 disks) to hide behind. I had a .223 on a bi-pod and a 3-1/2" 870 on my lap. I laid the rifle aside and picked up the 870. I waited till the farthest dog was about 35 yards and the closest was about 20 yards. Then I let the farthest one have it. Then I picked up the second one at 55-60 yards. When I went to pick them up, I lazered my blind from each one. The closest one was at 31 yards and the farthest one was at 64 yards. First and only double I have ever taken with a shotgun.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

If hunting is good they slow down on the coming in. I've switched almost completely to territorial or curiosity calls and the percentages went way up. If they are responding to you food calls in territorial way switch to what they want to hear, you lay down some coyote vocals and get ready.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

August and September are the best times of year in my neck of the woods - Distress sounds only so as to not intimidate the YOY (young of the year) dogs. Calling success suffers greatly for me in areas open for deer/antelope/elk hunting. Probably skittish with all the activity and shooting, and full from eating gut piles all night long. November is usually a good month, but then things go down hill from there with all of the calling contests and coyote hunters in my area. By mid December I go almost exclusively to coyote vocalizations for calling.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

Which leads to another question: I purchased a FoxPro Fury, tried it out and thought that the volume was a bit low when the wind was blowing. I like the small size and compactness of the Fury, but would a louder (and larger) FoxPro Prairie Blaster be a better bet, or do coyotes hear so well that the extra money spent on a Blaster would be wasted?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

Or... how about the Foxpro CS24? Or the CS24 Krakatoa with the 30 watt toa speaker? I've been wondering the same thing. Currently I just use hand calls. The Critr' Call Magnum has some good volume to it for the wind.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymart View Post
Or... how about the Foxpro CS24? Or the CS24 Krakatoa with the 30 watt toa speaker? I've been wondering the same thing. Currently I just use hand calls. The Critr' Call Magnum has some good volume to it for the wind.
me & my hunting partner just switched from the fx-5 to the cs 24. its volume & clarity are amazing. on the subject matter, we do really good here in october, when the young are venturing out on there own up until the opener of gun season(deer). then things get difficult til the woods settle down a bit, wich is usually in mid to late december. then the action gets really good again in january through march when the weather hits it's worst, which overlaps with the breeding season.