Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Best coyote bait

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Best coyote bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
This might be a challenge but I have rolled them at 80 yards with 00 buck. This will depend on your method of scent block and the bind. A yote will often circle the bate before moving in and will use the wind to pick up scent. If you toss up a new blind he has not seen before it will probably make him skiddish. But if you use existing cover that is there and does not carry a scent it could work. Also remember they are much braver at night as they feel safer using the darkness to conceal them. A moonlight night with a blanket of snow is awesome.

Jeff
I already put the blind up and I am going to leave it up a week or so then start baiting it for awhile then hunt it. I think I am going to put some brush around the blind too just to break-up the outline of the blind itself. I'm going to try to gather some christmas trees that didn't sell or at least pine branches to help with concealment and cover scent. And come first of the year night hunting is legal with shotguns or rimfires in my state.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=bigngreen;581194]Sheep work good and other skinned coyotes work super good, beaver carcasses are also really, really good. The hands down best though is Bobcat if you can get your hands on some. What ever you through out there get some skunk essence or scrap up a skunk and throw it on the pile!!!!![/QUOTE

Only ones you mentioned that are possible for me are maybe the bobcat (or scent) and the skunk. Why do these work so well? Do coyotes typically feed on them?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

I have had great luck in the early/ mid fall hunting coyotes over a pile of apples.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Horse carcasses attract coyotes like nothing I've ever seen.

But, that's not something you're likely to find.

I once thought I'd go to a slaughter house and pickup some buckets of blood. My thoughts were to repetitively soak something like a cow hide in blood and drag it behind my quad or pickup in known coyote locales while it was still dark.

I was then going to set up near the end of the trail and call, then stalk backwards along the trail after doing some calling.......LSS, I never did it. I still wonder if it would work though.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

One thing to remember is they will be at the pile anytime of day. I use bait along with a trail cam for scouting.. Last year I had a pile of deer peaces near a bog, it was a cold winter day with snow on the ground. I went the the pile to check my cam and the last pick was 4 mins before I got there.

When you set up the pile make sure you have a stealthy aproach to it.

My plan this year it to use blood from my buddy's turkey farm. I have it in 20oz soda bottles with a small hole in the bottom. Similar to how you hang dents for deer for deer.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

+1 to what sbruce said about horse carcasses. i killed 14 dogs off one horse carcass one winter back in the day. also agree with the skunk scent. i killed a skunk once at my house and took it up behind my shooting range and buried it. the coyotes would come dig that thing up once every month or so and roll in it. AJ
Old 12-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Horse carcasses attract coyotes like nothing I've ever seen.

But, that's not something you're likely to find.

I once thought I'd go to a slaughter house and pickup some buckets of blood. My thoughts were to repetitively soak something like a cow hide in blood and drag it behind my quad or pickup in known coyote locales while it was still dark.

I was then going to set up near the end of the trail and call, then stalk backwards along the trail after doing some calling.......LSS, I never did it. I still wonder if it would work though.
I agree with coyotes coming to a horse carcass, and it no doubt makes good bait. Not legal in some places, and you really want to make sure your not in a Grizzly area, or keep it long range with a good approach especially if your coming in and out in the dark. Or wait until later winter when you're certain they're denned.
However because of the slaughter ban, and high feed prices they can be readily available.
I put one down for a friend last year, between the vet, and the requirement to have a federally regulated hole dug (seriously) due to the chemical they use it was going to be a $500 deal. Lots here just get turned out for somebody else to deal with.
It's also a good read if you can find some of Elmer Keith's stories about the rodeo's that take place trying to get spoiled rotten, back yard diva to die in the most advantageous place.

Last edited by HARPERC; 12-10-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: add to