Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Best Camo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best Camo

WOW, I have to admit that CBASS's video is really impressive. Couldn't see him untill he moved in most of it. I also have to agree with him that the Ghillie Suit is really the only way to TRULY blend into any backdrop in any terrain. If we really want to be invisible, Ghillie is the way to go. I agree that they do have a place in predator hunting, if a person so desires to use them. I personally don't know how to make one, and I'd probably have to have 5 or 6 to cover all the terrain types that I hunt in.

Sounds like CBASS is calling what I said earlier "Ridiculous"??
He's certainly entitled to his opinion, everybody's got one.

As impressive as his video is, I still don't believe that one is NECESSARY to successfully hunt predators. But if you want one, more power to you.

Now I'll explain what my earlier advice was based on:
I've called in and killed litterally 100's of coyotes in the last 20 years of very serious coyote hunting (some professionally). Yes, I wear some sort of camo most of the time but it never truly matches the backdrop everywhere.

I've managed to call in and kill alot of really old coyotes (so old that they didn't hardly have any teeth left, canines were virtually gone). Alot of my coyotes have been taken on public land in areas where alot of people go to hunt them. I gaurantee you that these "old dogs" ARE NOT "call virgins". It has been my experience that camo is often over rated. I am not saying it doesn't help, just saying that going invisible isn't necessary for success. If you want to go invisible.....do it by all means, it certainly can't hurt.

Good Luck once again

Last edited by SBruce; 01-05-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

This is me in my Gillie out in MT a few years ago.

But we took these in one night wearing jeans and Camo shirts.

Take your (or a neighbor's ) dog out in the woods and play hide and seek with him. If you stand still with a little brush to break your outline, the dog will never see you even if you are wearing blaze orange. Works the same with Coyotes .
Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

The best camo is NOT moving, seriously. If you have to move, keep your arms and hands inside of your body silloutte, move slowly, twist your head, don't tilt it, keep you movements small.

The best pattern depends on what terrain you are in and how far away the coyote is (as in larger patterns work best for long range camo, printed patterns work better up close). One thing I do believe is that if you're not blending in, which happens sometimes, you are going to look like a large out-of-place 'blob'. For that reason I prefer not to wear all one pattern, but mix it up with a few different patterns; that way hopefully only part of me stands out, making me a 'smaller' out of place 'blob'. I have had a coyote catch me moving, stare me down, then come charging in as if I where another coyote.

Here are some of my favorite patterns:

- Mossy Oak Brush
- Kings Desert Shadow
- 3D Open Country
- 3D Open Country Snow
- Columbia's wool snow camo

I usually keep a variety in my truck and change as necessary. Also some article I read on a coyotes vision said M2D was the best.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

+1 for what Rymart said!!!

The idea is to break the "blob" Especially when or if we are covering alot of open/flat country between the vehicle and the calling/hunting area. Where I live and hunt, the snow is light and patchy right now. The best leafy or ghillie suit there is won't conceal a white "blob" walking through a dark grey sagebrush background. The best forest camo won't help us when we're trying to sneak through a yellow, wheat grass colored field. We usually encounter multiple backgrounds on our way into a stand this time of year.

When you are sitting or laying in one spot, the camo isn't nearly as important as when you have to move or walk through the area. In open country, getting to the spot without getting busted is more important than being invisible once you get there.

Last edited by SBruce; 01-10-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

How on earth did our predecessors mange to hunt without all the scent sprays and specialized clothing? I'm not against the new technologies we enjoy, but it is possible to hunt successfully without all the dodads and camo gear on the market today.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcp View Post
How on earth did our predecessors mange to hunt without all the scent sprays and specialized clothing? I'm not against the new technologies we enjoy, but it is possible to hunt successfully without all the dodads and camo gear on the market today.
gotta remember that critters most likely weren't neer as keen to the "hunter" or "human" presence. native americans stalking a deer in the open country 200 years ago, VERY TOUGH. Staking a buffalo in the open country...MUCH easier.
I have no basis for any of this, but i would think that back in the day, critters didnt see people as so much of a threat and hence, weren't as sketchy in our presence. not only that...but the smell of a person living in the wild, could quite possibly smell much less threatening than todays old spice and burrito farts.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

I feel camo is essential . It helps me get into the mind set of the hunt. What I don't like about it is that - feeling like a fool when come home empty handed.