Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Berger 6mm 105 Hybrid for coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Berger 6mm 105 Hybrid for coyotes

Berger 6mm 105 Hybrid for coyotes ,will they open up on a dog ? Maybe I should stick with 87gr V-Max. The hybrids shoot a bit better.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Berger 6mm 105 Hybrid for coyotes

I'll give you some input from the experience I have had with the hybrids. I am a government trapper/hunter. I spend a lot of my time calling. My main rig is a 6.5 creedmoor shooting the 140 hybrids. The 140 hybrids are extremely accurate out of my rifle and past 500 they are fantastic. I just had a 6mm remington built and have 400 of the 105 hybrids sitting on my bench waiting to be loaded. For me, the hybrids have been exceptional to say the least. Now, to answer your question. There is no doubt, there are times they don't open up. They aren't necessarily expected to as they weren't made for that (I know you know that, otherwise you wouldn't be asking). But...........those coyotes don't go far. I've had a few go between 50-100 yards. The majority go 0-20 yards. They have no problem killing coyotes. When I shoot them in the heart at a trap site, it takes 3-8 seconds on average, then......they just fade out. A coyote can run 25-100 yards in the same amount of time. Well, not 3 seconds, but easily in 8, see my point? The 105's I haven't taken to the field yet, so I can't speak from experience. They will be scooting along faster than the 140's, thus that may or may not have a significant effect on how they react compared to the 140's upon impact. That being said, I have absolute confidence in them and wouldn't hesitate for a second to use them. Also, you might find this of interest. One of my main rifles used to be a 204 AR. I loved that thing. The polymer tipped bullets absolutely dropped them in their tracks. Once, I couldn't find any vmax's, so I bought a couple boxes of hollow points. The hollow points shot more accurate out of that rifle, but, I started having a few coyotes going a ways. They all died, but several would go 100 yards or less, never with the vmax's. I stick with my 140 hybrids for two reasons, they are always consistent, with some good math, they land where they are suppose to. The coyotes I target are very important coyotes, thus accuracy is of utmost importance and I can with all certainty say, with a different bullet, there are several I would not have killed. Second, they kill coyotes very effectively. If I wasn't a government guy and didn't have to rely on long distance shots sometimes, oof, I'd probably be shooting 58-87 grainers out of a 243 or 6mm remmy. Those 58's can be loaded to really scream. Then I'd sight in my rig somewhere between 240-270 yards depending on the velocity I was getting out of that particular barrel. You wouldn't have to think about a thing to 325. That should handle the grand majority of your call ins. Unfortunately, my 6mm remmy is a 1in8, and it doesn't shoot the 58's. We live in a great time. There are so many excellent calibers, bullets, optics, and manufactures are always stepping up with better made rifles all the time. Good stuff. Hope this helps, I just drank a pile of strong coffee late on a Saturday night, so hopefully I didn't go on a long ramble.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for information. I'm pushing those 105 Hybrids 3400 FPS .
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

Nice. I just checked. Sighted in at 250, that's 2.44 low at 300.

Sorry for my ramble bud. Be glad I don't really drink anymore, I might have wrote a book and forgot to answer your question.....
Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

I'm shooting a 6slr and the 105 Berger hunting on coyotes. They perform more consistently then the hybrids or standard target. The target and hybrids have a thicker jacket and tend to pencil through, where as the hunting vld will leave a quarter sized hole on the off side.

Hope that helps.

Xdeano
Old 08-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

xdeano is correct. The hybrids aren't very consistent. If you want a bullet that will drop them consistently right in their tracks, the hybrids aren't your bullet. But, if the hybrids are shooting dreamy out of your barrel, and you don't mind the coyotes sometimes going a little ways, then you'll be good to go.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

Have you ever tried the 105 Amax?