Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Baiting coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Baiting coyotes

i use rib cages, meat scraps and dog food i use a good bunch to get them coming and once they are coming i will make a meatsicle wich is dog fod, bones and meat scrapes in a five gallon bucket then fill with water and let freez. at my bait they will show up when ever they want. i have had pics of them in the midle of day and all hours of the night. last year i had three that would come in together. my bait was 70 yards from the bait. here are a couple pics from last years.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:14 AM
Bronze Member

I've been baiting yotes for a few years now with some success. The best being a bait behind my house with a motion sensor on it that wakes me up when something is on the bait, (you should try this, your wife will LOVE it!!!)

I think your distance is good, we tried baits at 100- 150 yards and the little @#$%@$# would wind us. When we moved out to 300 yards we would see them crossing the road at 200 yards with their noses up. I find here in Maine deer works best and beaver caracas work great too. If you are hunting in the cold you can freeze bait in water in a 5gal bucket, they cant drag it off and the bird damage will be down a bit, friggen birds eat a lot!. Last year we tried plowing our bait into a snowbank, that worked good too, again the dogs have to work for the bait and cant drag it off into the bushes, keeps them in front of you longer.

Let me know how you do, I like to hear about people putting coyotes through obedience training.... Lay down!!!! Stay..... Good boy....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

Fleavitt; how long is coyote season open in Maine? My siblings live there in Penobscot county. . I was back there this fall and heard lots of coyotes howling.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member

Daylight season is year round. Night hunting is from mid December to July i think. Have to look at the law book but that gives you an idea.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

OK. Thanks ; I have a nephew that is a hunter. I want to see if he will get into calling.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM

i have a similar setupon back of the farm heated tree house 8x8 with sliding tented windows bait set at 311 yds old sink hole in field aka the pet cementary,we use deer parts ect, wrapped in chain link fence and staked down , makes them work for it.also have one off my back deck at 190yds same setup,my blue heeler distinct growl lets me know of there presence after dark.i pop them with a rebarreled mini 14 and a atn 6900 night scope,its amazing of how comfortable they are in darkness.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the night vision, they are way calmer in the dark. .243 with Raptor NV scope has been having fun this season, we go back and check our gut piles after we got a deer this season. We had a good bait made out of 150lbs of beef tallow and trim we got from a beef we butchered, they really seemed to love that fat in the wintertime when they need energy. We like to cover our baits with brush, helps keep the birds off for awhile at least so the dogs can find it by smell. Have heard of the meatsicle idea before, seems like you guys have had good luck, will have to try that!