Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Ar or Bolt action for yotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Ar or Bolt action for yotes?

Well I went to the Dark side and bought the Ar. It has the tall front site and removable handle with peep site in the rear. To mount a scope on it I was told I should get a different gas block that replaces the front site. Any recommendations?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
SPONSOR

I also shoot both. I have a light Dan Carey built AR with all the bells and whistles and a Savage Predator Hunter both in .204. As to accuracy, RRA makes some nice rifles that will shoot with most bolt actions any day. That said, the AR is a different beast. They definitely have a different feel and handle than a bolt rifle. Some bolt guys never quite get used to them. The AR has also become very reliable but never quite as reliable as a bolt. Too many moving parts. I shoot both and I'm comfortable carrying both but when the fur has to hit the ground, I find myself packing the bolt rifle.

But, if you haven't done the AR thing yet, it's worth trying to find out for yourself. The fast follow-up is pretty nice and when you get one running across open ground, it's kind of fun to "stack some brass"! Good luck! Hope you pile up some coyotes!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

If you get a scope more than about 3x, you can leave the front sight. You won't see it. I recommend the LaRue LT-104 mount for whatever scope you choose.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny2 View Post
Well I went to the Dark side and bought the Ar. It has the tall front site and removable handle with peep site in the rear. To mount a scope on it I was told I should get a different gas block that replaces the front site. Any recommendations?
I personally wouldn't bother. I have mounted scopes on the base rail with no problems at all. Why loose the flexibility of the open sites, or spend the $ on a new gas block and flip up front sight. IMHO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
SPONSOR

If you haven't done the AR thing before, keep in mind that the scope will need to mounted much higher (and possibly further forward) than your bolt rifles. The Larue that Nomadpilot suggested is excellent or you can use high or superhigh rings. Another option is to use a riser on the rail to get the heighth you need. The straight stock that accomodates the buffer and spring makes the cheek position much higher than your bolt rifles.

The front sight probably won't cause you problems but changing it will clean up the rifle and keep the sight from snagging on cases and such. Hope you enjoy the new rig. everyone should have at least one AR!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Gold Member

I'm with TT and Nomad, hunt with it a few times and see if the sight bugs you, I'd only pull it if you need to. The Larue mount is hard to beat, but a little spendy. The Nikon M223 or Burris PEPR are both similiar and are pretty solid as well, plus they cost Way less. I'm using the Burris with an A2 stock and I love it for yotes.
Cody
Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

tt35 has some good advise. the charging handle gets in the way of low mounted optics. a scope with 5" of relief is a good idea along with high rings or risers may be needed. my yote ar is an lr-308 ;)