Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Anyone switch to a larger caliber for coyotes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone switch to a larger caliber for coyotes?

It's been about 40 years since I shot my first coyote. 30-06 220 gr roundnose Remington. Never felt the need for more. LOL. I did miss one last year with my .338 RUM 180 gr ACCUBOND though.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Silver Member

I just use what ever is handy but I picked up a Savage 243 a few months back and think it will become a full time varment rifle I was using a .223 or a .338WM so I am moving to the light side of the middle.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt
Sounds like you got your answer. Bigger is better as long as you don't want the fur.
The fur isn't an issue, especially this time of the year. Our deer herd has been taking some hits, during the spring when the fawns are on the ground. I always see fawns in the fall, but didn't see any in the fall of '09 and only seen 2 last fall.

Basically, I just want the coyotes off of the planet, in this area. I should start snaring them to have a higher removal rate, but enjoy the calling and shooting too much.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Your right the 2506 is a hammer even if placement is not ideal, since you said there usually on the move.

I used 2506 for a lot of years and never had a problem with it, as long as you dont want to save fur. Tried most every bullet offered in .257" from 75g vmax-125g uld rbbt.

I am now using a 264 WM with either 100g or 120g NBTs for my coyote rifle. It will dump em with a bad shot just as well, and is a little better at the longer ranges then a 25-06, plus it makes a heckuva nice antelope/muley rifle
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I really want to hit a dog with my 300 WSM with some 185 grain Bergers, but I really really really want to hit one with a 110 grain V-Max out of the same gun. I can't imagine the carnage that would follow. I haven't played around with the V-Max load very much but it shoots good enough for coyotes to about 300 yards.
Pics and video PLEASE!!!! This, and a 17 Rem. shooting 17gr v-max are the two vids I would love to see.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter57 View Post
The fur isn't an issue, especially this time of the year. Our deer herd has been taking some hits, during the spring when the fawns are on the ground. I always see fawns in the fall, but didn't see any in the fall of '09 and only seen 2 last fall.

Basically, I just want the coyotes off of the planet, in this area. I should start snaring them to have a higher removal rate, but enjoy the calling and shooting too much.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
A lot of professional coyote callers/hunters use larger calibers so they can anchor their dogs. They don’t have time to track a wounded animal and they must produce the dog to get credit for the kill. There are “Fur” friendly bullets for the larger calibers… Look at target style bullets instead of ballistic tips. I use 88gr Berger varmints, they don’t open up as easily and will usually go a little deeper before they do. I will also use soft points…But that’s only because a buddy of mine will skin’em out during season, I could care less.

Jon
Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM

Nope, you just need to find the right projectile. As of right now my favorite projectiles are in this order: 1) 52gr SMK, 2) 60gr V-max.

For loaded ammo, last year I tried the 53gr Hornady Superformance with very good results.

Next year I will be trying the 52gr A-Max that I have screwed together.

Chupa
I sung the first hymn when the stars were created,and I let Mary know who she was expecting. Then again... I've turned rivers into blood and cities into salt...........So I don't think I have to explain myself to you! Gabriel