Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

Oh crap! I hope he lived! I think he is still either trying to find the ice or waiting for that nasty ol' cat to take a pea!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 AM

Haha very funny....more like waiting for a break in work and working on financials/house hunting with the wife...deciding to save my vacation time for a nice hunt down in Mississippi. Left the cat problems to one of the guys that pays to hunt out there, he said it broke his trap 3 times so far so not sure what he is going to try now.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM

I trapped for a living back in the 80's, and all that others have posted is accurate. I, personally, have caught two mountain lions in bobcat sets, and yes, they are troublesome to release. The trapping of cougar in this environmentalist infested area is not legal, so live release is mandantory... However, no-one has ever explained how you are expected to accomplish THAT task. Both of these that I caught were snapped in #2 Montgomery's, coil spring "step-in" models. One a single trap with a drag, the other, two traps. Both sets afforded shade for the animal. As far as catchin' them....curiosity kills the cat. A bird wing on a double loop of bailing wire (so's it waves in the wind) over the bait works great, but MUST be restricted from overhead viewing or you will invent an eagle/hawk problem that is nearly as difficult a live release situation. (Cats hunt by sight, and at night) Nearly any dead animal bait (FRESH), will work. Trap concealment and scent considerations are largely un-important. Cats are curious and don't seem to use their sense of smell as a cautionary asset. You can "move" them around easily (ie. make them step over a branch and into your trap) A little urine from another cat DOES help, but not necessary. Normally a cat will find a spot with a great view..and watch for movement, then investigate. A trap LARGER than a #2 is recommended. If You figure out how to release that critter without the help of a .22 long rifle between the head-lites...let me know. Keep the kids in the house until the problem is resolved. Good Luck!

Last edited by erictheoldschool; 09-19-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: more info