Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

It's an larger, older adult. Unfortunatley it does not rain enough down here in New Mexico to get good tracks or determine a trail. I understand hounds are the best bet, but the only folks I know are outfitters who want big bucks for the service and are hesitant to tresspass on other peoples property (as am I). Except for one guy, most of my "neighbors" are yuppies, hippies, or retirees that thought it would be cool to move out of town and own a ranchette. They just have no clue. I'm not worried about a dog getting caught in the trap, most of the neighbors have little yap yaps that don't come on to the property.

I realize this is no easy task, and if I do catch the lion it will be put down. The trap will be on my property so I will be able to check it several times a day. I just need to know what trap size to buy and how to bait it.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Not a lot, but where do you live?

I've trapped a lot in my youth, but not lion (we never had them then in Wisconsin). We have them now.

I know they have a territory (that may change if they are merely moving through), but if they are in an established territory, they roam around in it. Consequently, they won't likely be in the same place the next day, but they will probably return to your place in their rounds, particularly if they've been successful in hunting.

They will return to a fresh kill, so this is a great opportunity to trap one if you find a kill.

They are curious.

This is the best site I've found in a short search:

Mountain lion control Felis concolor and cougar management

You could call them if you like excitement.

Keep your kids inside - period. Go outside armed (it really isn't hard to get used to).

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

I like to call 'em in!
3 yr old Tom 150lbs

9 yr old Tom 140lbs (past his prime)

Young Tom 100lbs
Old 10-25-2009, 01:25 PM

you could try putting some catnip in an old sock and dangling it from the barrell of your rifle....

actually please dont try this. Very bad suggestion
Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

i always heard replacing a cats kitty litter with saw dust and letting the cat use that for a while then putting it on the ground and bedding couple traps 10-12" on each side of that works well the cat will come by to mark his/her territory and you just might catch him
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM

Cat are more site hunters than smell a trap with a 7- 9inch jaw spread 4coil should work with a good heavy drag. A bird wing hung by a string for a atractor and a good bobcat lure with a good amount of catnip on a branch about 3to 4feet off the ground trap or traps below is a good set
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 AM

Forget to say be sure to boil your traps and drag or stake. Not a bad idea to do twice last one with sagebrush or what ever is natural to your area to help cover smell of trap be very careful of any smell u leave behind