Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

A rather large mnt lion has been see in our neighbor (we live out in the sticks) and we've already lost one dog to suspicious circumstances. I think it's time to invest in a trap, but don't know the first thing about them or how to bait them? Any advice or websites would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Anyone know anything about mnt lion trapping?

Depending on which state you are in, it may not be legal to trap mnt lion. They are biggame animals in the states I'm familiar with.

Although I have never trapped mountain lion, I did grow up trapping and was friends with an old government trapper in Colorado when I was a kid. He trapped them using #4 leghold traps and even had some with small teeth on the jaws. I've heard of guys 'accidentally' catching them in smaller traps (as small as #2's) by just catching a toe.

To keep them from fighting the trap, you need to have it in a place where they can hide themselves while caught.

I know it's not much help, but that's all I have.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

Thanks! I can get trapping permits in my state. I'm a gov bio as well (not a trapper) so I could probably call my Game and Fish contacts to get more info and maybe borrow a trap. They are all bear and big game bio's so I thought I would try the great folks on this forum first. I'm a bird bio myself, mostly raptors, owls, and game birds.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Trapping and holding a Mt lion are two different things, you can't do it with cheap hardware store traps. My heavy four coiled coyote traps will only hold the small ones, they are fully modified Bridger #3's.
Most places trapping is illegal, the ones I've caught have been in bobcat and coyote sets and had to release.
The best thing to do with a lion is hounds, then you get the right cat fast, I also do the hound thing and trust me hounds are easier than trapping them.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

bigngreen is right....the only way you would hold a big one is to get him stretched out in a 4 trap set. hounds would be the way to go. just get the name of a hound hunter and call when either the lion or a fresh track is spotted. AJ
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice. The lion comes through my property at night, and I don't think my neighbors want be chasing him through there property's with an outfitter and hounds. I can get a permit to trap legally. What is the biggest leg trap I could use, and how would I bait it?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
Thanks for the advice. The lion comes through my property at night, and I don't think my neighbors want be chasing him through there property's with an outfitter and hounds. I can get a permit to trap legally. What is the biggest leg trap I could use, and how would I bait it?
Not to be a downer but running hounds through once is better than wacking the neighbors dog in a lion set, that being said does your state have a size limit on the jaw spread? Does it move on a trail consistantly? Can you snare?
Small or large lion, I'm suspecting someone just got the boot from momma and is more curious than anything. If an older cat your going to need to kill it, it's mind is made up. Your not talking a small thing here.
Doesn't sound like your in MT, I'd come over with one lion dog and help you out.