Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Anyone do much late season coyote hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Anyone do much late season coyote hunting?

Hunt them year round... Will do a few stands in the hills in the morning when their active and fish the afternoon away when it's to hot for them to wanna get up.

Jon
Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

What type of calls do you use in June? I've talked to a lot of people that say a pup distress is about the only thing that will bring them in that time of year, but all those people say that's just what they've heard.

I want to get out sometime in the next two weeks and introduce my brother in law to the sport but I don't want it to be a bad experience and wonder if I should wait till September to take him out. Let me know what's worked for you guys.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Bronze Member

I went on a P-dog trip in Colorado in early June. Wind was horrible but shot a ton of prarie dogs and smoked 3 coyotes " one each morning." Got their attention with integragation howls and sealed the deal with the Randy Anderson cat nip. Would have never seen them though without my Nikon binos. I will post pics soon. Im workin on clean up in Joplin Mo, and havent had internet in a while.
Thanks,
Heath
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
What type of calls do you use in June? I've talked to a lot of people that say a pup distress is about the only thing that will bring them in that time of year, but all those people say that's just what they've heard.

I want to get out sometime in the next two weeks and introduce my brother in law to the sport but I don't want it to be a bad experience and wonder if I should wait till September to take him out. Let me know what's worked for you guys.
I will drive around throwing out different types of howls and set up where I get responses in the AM before dawn. (best luck that way) Sometimes a distress call will bring one in, but for the most part during the summer there's lots of food and the summer heat makes'em lazy in IMHO. That's why I go fishing around 8 am. waste of a day otherwise only doing 1 - 3 stands.

I haven't tried the pup distress, I may have to give that a shot.

I hunt private property for PD's here in CO and we will shoot a bunch in the am and afternoon and stack them up and come back at dusk for an easy yote. Something about the sound of constant shooting in the PD field brings them in every time.... Maybe it's the free dinner.

I hate when the hawks show up, that will dive the PD's down fast.

Jon
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

The season never closes in AZ, but it does get tougher in the deserts during the summer. Heat & sunshine drives everything to the shade by 8 AM. I'm going out tomorrow morning for a couple of sets. We'll see what develops.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 AM

My hunting partner and I have had success hunting all year long. you have to get closer to them during mating and denning times but other than that they are still coyotes and will come to a call. The dogs are very effective in spring and summer months, theire effectiveness seems to taper off as it gets colder Good luck.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

My buddy and I hunt them all year. Good offseason practice. We have killed atleast one every weekend for the last two months. The only dry spell we had was April and May. Went about three weekends without calling anything in that we could see. Usually we use a jackrabbit distress from electronic and hand calls. Called in 6 on Sunday morning but only managed to get one. Do all our hunting in the morning or evening during daylight hours.