Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards

Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards Techniques For Coyote, Fox and Cat Hunting

Any 17 WSM Coyote Kills?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Re: Any 17 WSM Coyote Kills?

I'm really glad to hear that the .17 WSM worked on coyotes. After I needed multiple shots to finish a raccoon that was making a mess of my barn I was starting to think my B mag would end up being useless. It's not accurate enough to hit anything smaller than a coyote at 100 yards.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM

I have a new Bmag, cheap gun and you get what you pay for. Barrel moves loosely in the flimsy stock. If you buy figure on restocking. Also out of the box would not cock on closing, fooled around with bolt for 1-2 hours of sighting in, finally discovered the adjust a trigger was sticking. Had to touch trigger each time to cock gun, need to address this problem. Good groups with 20 gr, fair with 25 gr, maybe 2", but no grouping. Will get rid of crap stock with what someone on line used from Boyd's Mitchell, SD. Should bring the 20 gr into an inch at 100.

I have shot lots of coyotes with .22 mag, usually one shot stop in there tracks with Winchester .40 gr hollow points, generally the cheapest available but shoots good groups for me and performs well. I think .17 may be a bit light unless under 100, but will see,may be surprised.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM

Just bought the Savage B Mag with Bull Barrel ordered a Custom Stock from Boyd's for it now waiting for the stock to arrive. They make stocks for the standard barrels and bull barrels. Putting a Nikon 4 x 12 -40 scope on it,

If anyone finds any 20 gr. bullets in stock please send me a PM.............

Thanks